Welch's Peach white grape conc.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Started this 1 gal batch to see the difference between 2 cans of conc./gal and 3 cans/gal.
Starting Sg was 1.082
Primary went Ok, moved to carboy at SG 1.020.
tested again this morning ....SG 1.016 & no more "action" in the carboy.
Tastes very dry and I used 2 different calibrated Hydrometers with the same reading.

Since the reading is the same as it was since Wednesday night I stopped the fermentation and added the Kmeta & Sorbate and started to degass.

Oh, by the way, I used a Lalvin 1118 yeast.... before ya ask, thats what I had at the time
smiley2.gif
....but ABV would not have gone to high to stop fermentation, (ABV should be around 9% as of this morning)
Which is my question.... why did it stop?

Had room temp at 68 - 70F, most of the time closer to 68 cause I was fermenting a late harvest riesling that I wanted the process to go slower.

Was this a case of stuck fermentation? could I have restarted it?

Taste is fine and ABV was good enough for me on this sample so I just wanted to go ahead and finish it.

You just didn't give it long enough. It would have and still may go lower. I certainly wouldn't bottle this any time soon. Just because the sg didn't move a visible amount, with it that high there is no way it had given up all the way yet. Unless you filter this wine with a sterile filtration system, it could start up again.

Can it be restarted even after I added the Kmeta & Sorbate?

Thats where I may have made my mistake, adding these stabilizers this morning.
I thought since I got an exceptable ABV, and the SG not moving for as long as it did, that by adding the stabilizers I could stop all activity and go ahead with this sample.

Was this what is called a stuck fermentation?

If so do I simply bring up the temp, add a better yeast and let it start again?

When did you last check the SG previous to this and what was it? If it hadn't moved in two weeks, it was stuck. If it had only been a few days it is just slow. Normally you can move it along by adding a bit of yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and giving it a bit of a stir.

Last time I checked it was before work on Wednesday Morning.

As I said though the K meta & Sorbate are in already, can I still restart fermentation?

Latest posts

Back