Welch's Niagara White, Granny Smith Apple?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehrs

Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and ex
Reaction score
OK, So I just Pinched in a Welch's Niagara White Saturday, today is day 2. I had thought that if I added maybe 4 or 5 Granny Smith apples it would had a little crispness. opinions?

Making one gallon batch?? Hard to say but that is what is nice about this hobby. You can experiment to your hearts content. If it was me, I'd use 1/2 to 3/4 bushel of Granny Smith and maybe, just maybe use the Niagara for body/flavoring.

Whitehrs, sounds like an excellent combo to me. I love tart crisp white wines.

I've recently been making a lot of wines with mango. I don't know if they are easy to come by in your neck of the woods, but that is also excellent combined with Niagara.

Over the years I've gotten a nice little collection of flavor additives. Like lime, lemon, or grapefruit zest, plus a bunch of others purchased at wine making shops just for wine. When I think a wine is basically done but seems to lack something hubby and I sit out on the patio and do taste tests with random flavors that seem like they could complement the wine. For whites any appropriate zest really perks things up. For reds hands down chocolate. And I just found that they make a smoke flavor (got it from Label Peelers just a couple days back). I have several reds long term carboy aging I'm excited to try a bit of smoke in. Half the fun is making what you like, the other half is sharing with folks who appreciate it too.

Pam in cinti

I bottled my 3 month old Meads. The sweet malted wheat mead, sweet Malted Barley mead, and the JABM (Joes Ancient Banana Mead). Instead of raisins for nutrient I used a Banana in a gallon. I'm sure it bumped the SG a bit, the OG was 1.115, and then a banana. I'm sure it was actually like 1.125. It went dry about 0.990.. That should be in the about 17 or 16% but the Fleschman's yeast runs about 14% I think Tolerance. I'm sure it made all of that.. It is a bit hot, but I backed it with a 2/3 cup honey.. I think a 5 gallon is about ti be called for.. I love this stuff. I might go 1.5 bana per gallon.. it cools the hot flavor a bit I think.. Dangerous but good. I does not want to clear completely.. again the banana I think.. That's why I need a 5 gallon, or 7.. The 4 bottles from this will not last long. I got to give as taster, and two for me.. There was about 500 ML after the 4 bottles, and it is gone.. it did not stand a chance.. This stuff is like drinking dessert with a round house kick..

OK, So I just Pinched in a Welch's Niagara White Saturday, today is day 2. I had thought that if I added maybe 4 or 5 Granny Smith apples it would had a little crispness. opinions?

I have juiced Granny Smith apples and reduced the juice on the range. I added this to a Riesling kit with great results.

I have juiced Granny Smith apples and reduced the juice on the range. I added this to a Riesling kit with great results.

Thanks.. I'm going to try it.. add it when the fermentation slows. or on the next batch..

Latest posts

Back