Welches wine flavor lacking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearclaw215

Junior
Reaction score
So I did my first 5 gal batches of welches white grape/peach and grape/raspberry and I've racked once and are both are now pretty clear so I decided tasting was in order. I was happy to find that the delicate peach and raspberry flavor had come through quite well in the dry wine. I don't care for dry so I added their respective concentrates to .005, .010 and .015 og and the peach and raspberry flavor was all but gone and now seemed watered down.

Now I'm too green to have a good understanding of how to proceed. I haven't added any acid, tannin, ect. to the main batch yet and I'm just playing with 12oz samples trying to get it to something I'm happy with, which would be .005-.010 gravity and a stronger raspberry and peach presence. I'm pretty sure I should just make an f-pack like goggle said but id like to gather some more info before mixing up more 12oz of sort of ok wine. So if anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciate.

Last edited:
can you post your recipe? We would need to know what your starting gravity reading was and what it finished at. How much juice you started with and how big of a batch are you talking. And when you say .05, .10, .15 are you meaning 1.050, 1.100 and 1.150?

And welcome to winemakingtalk

Ha sorry I forgot some zeros in the gravity readings. I'll edit my first post to correct that.

2 cans/gal of white grape raspberry 10 in all
3 cans/gal of white grape peach 15 in all
Enough sugar to bring both to 1.090. I want to think 5lb in the peach and 6lb of the raspberry without checking my notes.
5 gallon batches
Fermented both dry

I tried back sweetening with the same concentrates to 1.005, 1.010 and 1.015 in 12oz trials but all flavor disappeared and body seemed thinner than when it was dry which isnt what I was expecting.

Last edited:
Check your acid, get it between .65% and .75% and give it some time. Wait at least a month after adjustments before tasting

Any acid in particular? I can pick up just about whatever. And should I go with my plan to back sweeten with concentrate during bumping up the acid?

Latest posts

Back