Welches Revisited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
The first batch of Welches Concord that I made shows such promise that I started a second gallon.
The recipes that I've read ask that you assemble all the ingredients in a jug and wait 12 -24 hours before adding yeast.
Question please: The ingredients listed for Welches 100% concord grape concentrate, only list ascorbic acid and citric acid as additives.
Is the wait period necessary?
Thanks,
Tony...

I read on this site not too long ago that because that juice is pasteurized, you don't have to wait that period due to the fact that the PE doesn't need time to work before yeast is added. I put everything together the last time I started a batch and so far, so good. :D

Some of the wait time is to allow the sodium/potassium metabisulfite kill off bacterias and wild yeasts.

My last batch of apple was from almost 100% concentrate. There was boiled banana, and invert sugar but everything was sterile and sanitized already, so I felt pretty safe in pitching my yeast.

Thanks guys. That was my thinking also, but like to check with the experts.
Cheers!
Tony

Back