Welches Niagara Concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Started 2 /12 gallon batch of Welche White Niagara today. Made stater
yeast and will.throw it in tommorow. Starter is already pretty active.
Used 5 cans and did not add sugar. SG is at 1.065. See how this tastes
when done. I know others have tried this but I have not and I had it on
hand and was bored.
Edited by: wadewade

Hey Wade,

Why so low a starting SG? If I calculated this correctly, this will produce a wine of about 9.1% alcohol.

wade: I'm wondering also why the low SG? I think you should add sugar????jh

Actually 10.19% I believe. I felt like making something that wont
be jet fuel. Maybe I'll follow it up with a higher SG batch, but just
wanted to try out something different, kinda lika experimento.

Okay I brought it up to 1.078 which by my calculations should bring it up to 11.9 which works for me.

I'm not sure of the characteristics of the niagara grape. I've made more fruit wine than grape wine and I've always heard that you should shoot for at least 10% ABV. I have seen some grape wines as low as 8% and 9%, so you are likely OK.

How do you calculate ABV?
I use the two following:
http://www.grapestompers.com/calculations.htm
http://honeycreek.us/conversion.htm

You have me second guessing my calculations now
smiley23.gif

I do it this way. Take the starting SG without the decimal point
(1078-990) which = 88 then divide that by 7.36 which gives you - 11.956%

wadewade,

I made the Niagara from the Welches and it was great. The only thing I would do different next time is not have the SG so high. The wine finished a little hot none the less, it was excellent. Comparable to any nice white wine.
Ramona

Wade: I have heard that if it's not at least 10% Alcohol, you could risk spoilage. PK, that was an excellent calculator???

Ramona, what was your starting SG as I just bumped mine up from 1.065 to 1.078.

wade

It was 1.100 and I don't believe that I didn't write down the yeast I used, it finished out at 15% per my calculations and it was powerful.

Next time I'm keeping it down to about 12%

Ramona

Yea, wade but once you get past the first blast of alcohol.....it is smooth sailing!!!

Less alcohol will make it perfect.....as I said as good as any nice commercial white...maybe even better

rge

rqecaprock,
Can you post your recipe for the niagara? I have a gallon of Welch's niagara that is no where close to being as good as the cheapest white wine I can buy
smiley18.gif
. I tested the acid (my second try at this test) and I ended up with .85 on acid! WOW that is high. Likely the reason for the kerosene bouquet! I sweetened it a bit and added a little oak, and I can tolerate drinking it now. A good recipe would be appreciated.

pk
This is all I did: 6 cans Welches Niagara frozen concentrate
6 tsp acid blend
3 tsp pectic enz
3 tsp nutrient
sugar to desired SG
water to 3 gallons
I made a yeast starter but didn't write down the yeast I used.
I added some oak cubes that I had previously used in another wine.(didn't make much difference)
I racked it about 3 times over a 3 month period. Then used super kc at the end to get it nice and clear.

Now you have me wanting to make another batch this weekend!!

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I'm lazy, but I've never made a yeast starter, just spinkle it on top,
if it works for the kits, it's OK for me, I always like the low alcohol
wines the best, 10%, my new Blueberry is 10% and I think it tastes
good, the next one is 15%. I will admit the 18% X-71 experimental wine
did knock one person out...lol

Thanks Ramona! Did you happen to test the TA level on that batch? I have been pretty bad lately on keeping my notes and didn't keep a single note on my Niagara. I can't remember how much acid blend I added.

pk,

I haven't mastered the acid test kit yet....... but I did stay at a holiday inn last night........no......I got 3.6 on the ph strips if that helps.

Ramona
smiley29.gif

Lame know but it just popped into my head!Edited by: rgecaprock

Latest posts

Back