welches first batch question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
I added my yeast 12 hours after adding sugar and other ingrediants , and was wondering if I am suppose to see a massive frothing of the ferm. process or just a thin white foam over the top. I put one packet of the LALVIN 71B-1122. This is the yeast I was told would be a good all around yeast for fruit wines. anyway, do I need more yeast or am I expecting to much too soon. I checked it at 09:30 tonight,which is about 17-18 hrs. since I added the yeast. thanks LA-BOY.... also the SG I was able to reach was 1.100. what will that mean for my finished wine.

You didn't say how big your batch is , but one pack is enough for up to 6 gals......Your temp. will also affect how hard youyeast will work also...But does sound like it is of and running....good luck

That is a rather high sg for a Welches wine which will mean you will have to really sweeten this up later to hide the high abv or wait quite some time for it to mellow out. Fermentation can take up to 3 days sometimes to get started, what temp is the must?first signs of fermentation are usually a sizzling sound like a soda pop if you put your ear near the must. Some fermentations will foam like mad while others will not foam at all and just sizzle for a week or 2 depending on the size batch. A 1 gallon batch can ferment to dry in a few days though due to its size.

It is now doing what it ia supposed to, I can hear it fizzing through top of the bucket. I said earlier that the SG was 1.100. The recipe I have says the starting SG should be about 1090. There was not a decimal point between the 1 and 090, was there supposed to be. I thought I was real close to the starting SG with 1.100. thanks for ant input....

Even 1.090 is a little high for a Welches wine, IMO they should stay around 1.080-1.085 tops.

I made two batches and neither had a strong ferment but the one gallon batches hit the sg in 5-7 days.

Back