Wedding supply

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNeckWino

Reaction score
I was asked to make strawberry wine for a friends wedding. Not sure about how much to make for say 70 people. Any suggestions? Gonna be dinner with toasting, desert with toasting and dancing with more toasting. Think I will be making concord and cherry to take along as well. But he wants the majority to be strawberry. Guessing 10 gallons? and hope some beer shows up to fill the gap?

First you need to make sure that outside alcohol is permitted in the hall. Is everyone or every couple to be given a bottle or is it just for drinking?

Are the guests big drinkers? I would think 10 gallons would be good for 70 people. Maybe make some skeeter strawberry as additional or alternative.

Party to be at a house, so that part is good. The people I know of that are going like to drink. (alot!) The skeeter pee strawberry is a good idea. Happen to have 6 gallons of that already.

The punch line to this joke is he asked me to make it this week. Wedding is July 2nd 2011. Gonna need a good flavor pack to make this drinkable. Pressing berries tonight and tomorrow.

Good lord!!!!!!!! Even Skeeter Pee would be tough on that schedule, crap, even beer is almost pushing it! IMO a wine like this wont be ready but to each their own.

Have you made strawberry wine before? I've made it a couple of times (using different reciepes) and not all batches were good enough that I would present them at a wedding.

I too am preparing to supply an upcoming wedding. What I'm doing is making 3 times the amount I project I'll need. This way, I can choose the best for the wedding and keep the rest as my basic house swill.

The pressure's on, good luck.

I was asked to make strawberry wine for a friends wedding. Not sure about how much to make for say 70 people. Any suggestions? Gonna be dinner with toasting, desert with toasting and dancing with more toasting. Think I will be making concord and cherry to take along as well. But he wants the majority to be strawberry. Guessing 10 gallons? and hope some beer shows up to fill the gap?

Yes I would say 10 gallons. When my son got married there were 250 invitations and we made about 100 bottles and there was plenty but there was also beer and mixed drinks.

Party to be at a house, so that part is good. The people I know of that are going like to drink. (alot!) The skeeter pee strawberry is a good idea. Happen to have 6 gallons of that already.

The punch line to this joke is he asked me to make it this week. Wedding is July 2nd 2011. Gonna need a good flavor pack to make this drinkable. Pressing berries tonight and tomorrow.

Wow, you are really pressed for time. Not sure how successful you will be, I think your best bet given your timeframe would be to steam the berries as that will produce much less lees. I would also consider the extracts for an F-pac vs making a true f-pac(clearing time). You will definately need to filter. Do you have one? (send pm, I can send you a buon vino mini jet to borrow if needed) Short timeframe you are really pushing it.

........The punch line to this joke is he asked me to make it this week. Wedding is July 2nd 2011......

Jeepers..... that's no friend, it's a task master. You're going to have to get the whip out to get your wine in a bottle for this wedding. My fear would be that it would be rushed to the point that it wouldn't taste good and then you'll be know as the guy who supplied the crappy wine. The strawberry I've made picked up some of the flavor from the seeds, it's a slightly bitter taste that goes away with aging.

Skeeter Pee might be an option for you. Starting it now would give you a month+ in the bottle before serving.

I am praying for plenty of beer. Hope that is tapped before the wine. My last strawberry was why he wanted this for the wedding. I also have 6 gallons of blackberry hidden that will be close to a year old by then, but his soon to be said strawberry. Maybe as time gets closer she can taste it and make an educated decision then.:h

Wow, you are really pressed for time. Not sure how successful you will be, I think your best bet given your timeframe would be to steam the berries as that will produce much less lees. I would also consider the extracts for an F-pac vs making a true f-pac(clearing time). You will definately need to filter. Do you have one? (send pm, I can send you a buon vino mini jet to borrow if needed) Short timeframe you are really pushing it.

Thanks for the offer on the filter. I do have a filter and will be ordering a pack of sterile filters. I told him I will try and make it, but I think a taste test in late June in order for sure.

And if it works, one hell of a favor owed!

Back