WineXpert WE South African Chenin Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Started a WE Chenin Blanc today.
smiley4.gif

20081213_214812_Chenin_Blanc_1.JPG

Must smells and tastes great.
smiley20.gif
SG was lower than expected at 1.082, so I mixed in a cup of table sugar raising it to 1.085.

20081213_215120_Chenin_Blanc_2.JPG

This evening the yeast was already forming a cap on top.The tempwas just over 75*, so I decided to move the primary into the garage where it's cooler. Hoping to ferment around 65*.

20081213_215628_Chenin_Blanc_3.JPG

Looks like it is off to a good start. Im not familiar with this one. Is it similiar to a Riesling, Zin or what?

Chenin Blanc is supposed to come from the Loire Valley in France where they make it into a lot of french sounding names I can't pronounce. The only one I'm familiar with is Vouvray, which can be dry, sparkling, or sweet. It's apparently also popular in New Zealand and South Africa. We stumbled onto a wonderfuloff-dry Chenin Blanc in 2005 in Washington's Yakima Valley and almost bought a case it was so good. We also really like the Vouvray from Belle Marie Winery in Escondido, CA. It's a light, refreshing white sipping wine that works great for a picnic.

Here's a pic of the finished product. Ooops, posted the wrong pic at first. This is an edit.

20090412_172429_IMG_0346_Small.JPG

We did a dry (left) and a sweet (right) version of this one. Turned out pretty nice.

Pretty nice................. that's a heck of a description now Ken! We want a better description than that. Better sample a bottle and describe it in minute detail.

Ooops, sorry. We bottled thisabout six weeks ago, and I haven't tasted it since. After degassing, I topped it up with almost two 750 mil bottles of a Muscat Bianca that I had handy at the time. Probably not the best choice for topping up. Boy wasit noticeable at bottling.Didn't blend well with the Chenin Blanc. I'm hoping it'll mellow out over time. Anyway, I haven't sampled it since bottling. We finally got around to putting on the labels yesterday. I'll chill a couple of these soon and give a better description.

Latest posts

Back