WineXpert WE gewurztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaz

Reaction score
Hey just wanted to report the WE gewurztraminer is very good for a cheap kit. I wasn't expecting anything more than an average table wine, but this stuff is tasty:r Well worth the cheap price... I'm starting to believe that the diffence in white kits quality to price is much smaller than red kits, I think I'll be buying cheap white and expensive red kits from here on out.

Have you tried a big white. I suggest you don't. I think there is a big difference especially in the Rieslings. We didn't know that though until we tried one. If we hadn't bought a big one we'd still be drinking the smaller ones and be happy.

That reminds me of the advice my parents gave me if I ever went on a cruise. They said on the first couple you go on just get a very basic room and you'll have the time of your life But once you get bigger or better one you won't want to go back. HUH, I'm still waiting to take mt first cruise.

Hey just wanted to report the WE gewurztraminer is very good for a cheap kit.

There are FOUR WE Gewurztraminers listed on their web-site, and a Traminer-Riesling blend. From your comment, you are probably talking about the Vintners Reserve one. Personally I would do the Selection Estate German Mosel Valley Gewürztraminer.

Regardless, please don't say 'WE gewurztraminer'. Be specific as to which kit you are talking about. It is MUCH more helpful for others here.

Steve

Have you tried a big white. I suggest you don't. I think there is a big difference especially in the Rieslings. We didn't know that though until we tried one. If we hadn't bought a big one we'd still be drinking the smaller ones and be happy.

I'm just at the beginning of my kit-making experiences and I reckon I should go 'straight to the top' and use the best ingredients I can.

So, which kits do you all recommend as 'big' whites?

To be honest, I made the WE columbia Valley Reisling and the VR Reisling. The later was sweetened because there was no flavor pak. We actually like the cheaper VR kit better. There are more flavors and complexity with the CV reisling but I prefer a smoother VR. For reds - most would agree that the more expensive kits are better. - I do.

I'm just at the beginning of my kit-making experiences and I reckon I should go 'straight to the top' and use the best ingredients I can.

I would go with the WE Luna Bianca. Its an Amazing "big white"?

"Big" normally refers to the amount of juice in the kit, i.e. 7 liters vs. 10 liters vs. 12 liters vs. 15 liters vs. 16 liters vs. 18 liters vs. 23 liters. The big ones, of course, are the high volume of the list.

IMHO, I believe there are some exceptions. Personally, I have been very disappointed with some 23 liter kits and very pleased with some 10, 12 and 15 liter kits. Generally, but not always, the big kits are better. There are exceptions to most "rules."

Last edited:
how big is it?

ITS ALL IN THE BLEND:dg

i BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE ISN'T THAT GREAT COMPARED TO THE COST AND WHAT YOU YOURSELF CAN DO WITH A INEXPRESSIVE KIT,Ive TRIED BOTH OF THEM/ BOTH WAYS AND STILL HAD TO ADJUST A LITTLE TO MAKE THEM MY STYLE ,HOWEVER THE MORE THE PURE VARIETAL THE BETTER FOR OVERALL BALANCE ,I F YOU NOTICED THE MORE EXPENSIVE THE KIT THE MORE THEY HAVE ACCESSORIES,GRAPE PACS,RAISINS,CHIPPED OAK, POWDER OAK,FLAVOR PACS,YOU NAME IT ,IT SOUNDS TO ME AS IF I WERE DESCRIBING TO YOU WHAT TO USE IN MY FIX IT KIT..THINK ABOUT IT,ALL THE MAKE UP PARTS THEY SUPPLY YOU WITH ARE THE SAME PARTS i USE TO ADD TO OR REPAIR A WINE? IN GOOD WINES GOOD BAD,THEY USE IT AS A MAJOR OR MINOR COMPONENT IN THE OVERALL SEAM OF THINKINGS,WE ALL GO DOWN THE SAME PATHWAY IT JUST HOW WE FINISH IN THE END THAT COUNTS:i

I sometimes like big wines, both red and white.

"Big" can refer to the boldness and heaviness of a wine, among other things. Like a nice fruity Zin that is above 14% ABV and really fruit-forward. I have had Zins over 15% ABV... big and fruity!

To me, a big chardonnay is one that is higher in ABV and is not quite as smooth and tame as a typical chard. Sometimes a bigger chard is much darker in color and comes from hotter regions; darker becasue of lots of extra "stuff" from the grapes. I'm not too crazy about big chards.

A Syrah is considered a bigger wine than, say, a Pinot Noir, which is generally thought of as softer.

IMO, a big wine goes better paired with food, rather than drinking it as a nice porch-pounder, which can be drank without any food pairing at all.

Last edited:
With regard to the point about differences between the WE kits, last year I made the WE Gewurztraminer Selection Original and this year I made the WE Gewurztraminer Selection Estate (German Mosel). Although difference wasn't what I would call night and day, the Estate series clearly had more complex aromas and flavors, a longer finish, more body and much deeper color. This was noted by almost everyone who had tried both.

I would definitely pay the extra for the estate series next time around, at least for the gewurz. Although I will say either one is a definite crowd pleaser.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the input and sorry for my delay in getting back to the board.

I only got one email about replies and I missed that - must have a look at my settings for the forum and see if I can get email notifications for each reply (I'm new here).

I was - indeed - wondering if 'big' meant 'big, full-bodied, high-abv' or 'large volume kit' - interesting how different folks have covered both interpretations.

I have read elsewhere that the large volume kits are often better (value for money and better results).

---

FloridaWino has suggested the Luna Bianca as a 'big white' - what other specific kits are generally regarded as winners around here?

I've read on another forum that the Luna Rossa is also a cracker.

As it happens, I'm not all for 'big' powerful high-abv wines, but I do like reds with good body and structure.

As for whites, I reckon the same rule applies for kit making since it seems I can produce a decent lighter white (and lighter rosés) using tins of fruit, hedgerow things and fgrape juice etc).

So - specific kits delivering great results..?

Thanks again everyone!!!

:br

I believe that 'Ivybridge, Devon' is in the UK? That changes your answers a LOT. RJ Spagnols kits are not available (to best of my knowledge) in the UK, and there are several kits/brands from RJS that are very very good.

OTOH, Vineco kits are available in the UK, but have limited availability in the USA. So there won't be many recommendations of their kits.

And very few people here will have heard of Beaverdale kits.

Steve

Yes, Devon is a county in the south west of England - I'm a Scotsman gone south!

I've read on the UK forum I visit that RJ Spangols are good kits, there also seems to be a lot of respect for the high-end WE kits - such as the Luna Rossa/Bianca.

The limited edition WE and Kenridge kits get good reviews as well.

No harm in taking a poll across the pond though, I though ;)

Can a wine be both big and fruit forward? I used to think I didn't like whites until I tried some of the semi dry fruit forward ones. The WE Muller Thurgau is great as have a few commercial Viogniers I've tried. The MT was slightly sweeter than I think I would like. What are some wines I should try?

Big and pretty

Yes by all means The Great Whites Can Be Fruit Forward and full of flavor, but isn't that what you want out ofa wine, most all Australian wine are from forward and big flavor and they do that by controlling the alcohol they also do that by controlling acidity most white wines have a great affinity for mlf they have in them in abundance of Malic acid as opposed to tartaric acid and that's what gives them their fruit forwardness and bold taste .

Even fresh juice wines( white especially) are more prone to doing the malic fermentation just due to nature of the wine and how it's grown its charactisits are built into it from the stems, to the flowers and passed on to the buds andfinallt the fruit
white wines for me are easier to digest and go with all foods quite well, so yes great Whites/ all of them should be fruit forward with the only exception of Chardonnay which is usually oaked or finished in Oak for a few weeks other than that, most good whites are fruit forward the way they should be. muscoto is no exception is the forerunner for making , asti so take it from there and enjoy . :try

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back