We are curious about your wine consumption

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Making one's own wine can be very rewarding and give great satisfaction in a hobby with a sense of pride on one's labor of love.

We are wondering how many make wine just

Because they like a good tasting homemade wine that is good quality

Because they make wine to get drunk as cheaply as possible

We both take meds that our doctor allows 4 oz of wine a day. For us it is the love of the hobby and making a good tasting wine. Homemade wine gives us a sense of pride in most cases; like a very good home cooked meal.

I enjoy the blend of art and science

I enjoy creating things 'from scratch'; whether its wine, wood working, cooking, gardening, writing - its all 'from scratch'.

I enjoy the social exchange of giving something I've made away, and receiving the feedback; whether good or bad, they had an experience that I was able to provide & there's a sense of accomplishment to be found in that.

I enjoy wines which have had time to age; whether commercial of homemade, its my opinion that there's not enough patience.

It's much more than just a buzz

I actually drink very little might go threw a bottle a week sometimes less. I'll put some in 375ml just for me. I mostly enjoy making and crafting and giving out to friends and family hearing them say That's better than any I've ever bought in the store. :)

I enjoy making it and seeing what I can do to make the very best tasting wine possible.

I drink a bottle every night. Mostly red. Don't even get a buzz but that's not why I drink it. I don't drink beer or the "hard stuff". Lol

I really enjoy making wine, and enjoying it after its made! We consume a bottle a day, wife does a glass or so, I do 2-3, mostly reds, but we also enjoy our Apple, Peach & SP. recently relocated to Fl so will have to find a good source for apples &peaches. May have to make an orange wine this year. Roy

what deezil said plus...I dont care for grapes...but I love wine that taste like fruit, strawberry,pineapple,fig,mango, etc...

Wife and I split a bottle a night, sometimes a bit more on weekends. I enjoy the hobby aspect of it and making wine with little cost per bottle. don't give much away as most of our friends either don't drink or drink beer.

Let me start out by sharing something a bit personal. My father was an alcoholic and he destroyed our family (nine children). I grew up in foster homes as a result. As a result, I grew up with a very healthy respect for alcohol and how abuse can destroy lives and relationships. Thinking about that now, I guess I am even surprised to be in this hobby and on this forum. But I say all that because I do have a very serious view of alcohol abuse. As with many things in life, they are meant to be enjoyed in the proper proportion to everything else life has to offer.

My wife and I have gotten to where we enjoy a bottle with dinner about 2 or 3 times a week. We will often enjoy a second, sweeter wine when lounging and enjoying a movie or television in the evening. As Doug said, perhaps a bit more on the weekend when we are at home and letting our hair down as it were.

It wasn't always this way; we hardly drank at all while our daughter was growing up. And then suddenly there is this huge surplus of wine in the house. :h We have actually talked about backing off a bit...

Those that have replied said our sentiments better than I did. If we open an bottle and drink 4 oz each, we may split the rest of the bottle a few hours later or we may use an vac vin to drink in a day or so. Then we would open a different bottle the next day. We have a lot of wines that have more than a year in aging. We have some that are still not there yet and are hoping they will get better with more age.

According to our doctor it takes 2 to 3 hours to process 4 oz of wine. So 8 oz each, our maximum limit a day, drank over 5 to 6 hours. When we go to our family doctor we always take him a bottle. He tells us him and his wife thoroughly enjoyed everyone we have taken him better than any wine they have ever bought.

I go through 3-4 bottles a week. Not to get drunk, but because I love wine. The buzz is nice sometimes, but more often than not, I find myself wanting it to go away so I can have more wine. :) I initially got into this hobby because I was curious if I could make something I'd enjoy as much or more than store bought wine. Knowing I could make a high end kit for about 5 bucks a bottle was attractive, as 3-4 bottles a week at $10-20 adds up quickly. There's also the pride factor. I enjoy cooking, and being able to make something better than I can get in a restaurant for half the price gives me a sense of pride. Same thing with the wine. And now that my wines have some time on them, I'm really starting to enjoy sharing and giving away.

Last edited:
For me, it's all about flavor. The wines we make are all "high flavor" wines and many commercial wines taste thin compared to what we make.

Unless we're having a party or a wine tasting, I rarely drink during the week. My beverage of choice is coffee--always have a cup with me. Even take a cup to bed with me every nite.

It's a fun hobby for me and I have not been making wine for a long time. I drink a glass of wine every night because I love the taste of my homemade wine and to help me rest and sleep better at night.

I would like to make an observation:

If I want cheap alcohol I can buy it in the neighborhood of $1.00 a bottle at the gas station. I don't need additives, a carboy or patience. And I don't have to break my back lifting, stirring, racking and bottling.

The guys who make it in a kool aid bottle with a balloon over the top of it are doing it for cheap wine. And they don't hang out here often and don't stay for long.

Now dont get me wrong I do save money when I make mine good enough to keep my wife from buying her $25 a bottle italian semi-sweets. But then I blow what I saved on equipment or additives or a juice kit. And now that all my friends know I make it, usually I only end up drinking 5 or 6 bottles out of a batch before it grows legs.

It's definitely all about the taste in this house. Money can't buy skeeter pee!

For me it is about self-sufficiency. I try to grow as much of my family's food as I can and I am hopeful of planting a small vineyard in the next year or two. I find that it is rewarding to learn about the process and to acquire some of the toys (PTL for the allinonewinepump!!). My family goes through 5-10 bottles/week as we have five legal drinkers. It is very enjoyable to drink wines that I would otherwise not be able to afford.

I also share some with clients, but that is just a necessary evil.

I second what others are saying about the pride and challenge of making something from scratch. I get such a kick out of eating/drinking/using something I've made myself. It's also why I love jam making and pickling, and building things, making crafts, etc. etc.

As to amounts, we've actually found we drink far less now that we make wine. Maybe 2 bottles per week between the two of us. It's all about the enjoyment and the taste, and we get to have great debates about the pros/cons/changes we should make :)

Being of Italian decent I feel as though it's part of my heritage, in the genes so to speak. My wife also accuses me of being borderline OCD having to do every thing myself whether it's working on the house, the cars, the yard etc.. I guess I'm more addicted to the sense of accomplishment than anything else. It's just so great when someone admires your work or what you've done or been able to produce. I'm also intrigued now that I've started this as to the different things wine can be made from. When I started, I set out to make an every day table wine similar the the homemade Italian wines I remember when I was younger, now I'm experimenting with all different types of things and looking to make better quality wines. This is just a very rewarding pastime in so many ways. :h

I discovered the amazing ability of wine to put me to sleep, having suffered insomnia most of my adult life, wine has definitely improved my energy levels during the day because now when I go to bed I actually sleep. I have a couple of glasses a night.

I enjoy the blend of art and science

I enjoy creating things 'from scratch'; whether its wine, wood working, cooking, gardening, writing - its all 'from scratch'.

I enjoy the social exchange of giving something I've made away, and receiving the feedback; whether good or bad, they had an experience that I was able to provide & there's a sense of accomplishment to be found in that.

I enjoy wines which have had time to age; whether commercial of homemade, its my opinion that there's not enough patience.

It's much more than just a buzz

I am pretty much with Deezil, I love the art and the science of it. I love trying out new whiskies and I love learning about wine making and tasting.

I enjoy making the wine from out own fruit, and local fruit. Best of all I love to share it with family and friends.

I am the only wine drinker in the house, so I am lucky if I go thru one bottle in a week. I do use a vacuvin device. There is no rhyme or reason to my consumption, if I want wine I pour a glass BUT I also craft other fermentables like kombucha, jun, water kefir and lactofermented soda so I am always drinking something I fermented, just may not be wine. I absolutely love the crafting, the science behind the art of fermentation. I find pure joy in sharing my wine & mead with friends and appreciate their feedback, good or bad. I grow or harvest as much as I can for winemaking, but I do not shun the use of concentrates or commercial goods, if I want to make wine with it I make wine with it.

Back