Water quanity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
I've read how some are not using the full amount of water directed by the kit in order to make a more robust wine. As I am new, I am curious of how many of you do this and or is there a grade specific kit you do this to? I.E. say a winexpert selection vs an eclipse. Thanks.

I've read how some are not using the full amount of water directed by the kit in order to make a more robust wine. As I am new, I am curious of how many of you do this and or is there a grade specific kit you do this to? I.E. say a winexpert selection vs an eclipse. Thanks.

There are folks who do this, typically on the lower end kits, not the Eclipse as you said. I can't tell you how many are using the cheaper kits and making those modifications, but you can certainly check out those posts for more info.

My personal preference are the premium kits with grape packs and skins, I don't mind paying more for the higher quality products.

Hi, I have used less water in the HE kits.I fill to 5 1/2 gal in fermenting pail then rack down to a 5 gal carboy putting any excess into whatever bottle it fits and I use it for top ups.I wouldn't do it in higher end kits but then they don't really require so much water ;)

Hi, I have used less water in the HE kits.I fill to 5 1/2 gal in fermenting pail then rack down to a 5 gal carboy putting any excess into whatever bottle it fits and I use it for top ups.I wouldn't do it in higher end kits but then they don't really require so much water ;)

Hi, Kim,

Sorry, what is an "HE kit" in this context? I am curious as to the range of kits this technique will work for.

On the surface a conflicting statement. HE kits -> High End kits??

Thought about it a bit and remembered the Heritage Estates kits from RJS which are a low-end 6.3L kit. Possibly available in Canada only.

Steve

My first kit was an Island Mist kit (low end). By accident, I shorted the kit by 1 gallon. It turned out fine. In fact, that is one of the tweaks I read. Island Mist is a 7.5 Liter Kit

At the opposite end for Winexpert is the Eclipse Kits. they are 18 Liter kits, and I would never think about shorting them.

I would think that any kit 12 Liters or less (to make 6 gallons/23 Liters) is a candidate for shorting water. I wouldn't short more than 1 gallon for a 7.5 Liter kit. Maybe a 1/2 gallon for a 12 Liter kit.

If you are just starting out your best bet is to make the kit exactly as called for in the instructions. Four good reasons for this:
1)The manufacturer has balanced the wine chemistry of the kit based on a 6 gallon batch. Adding less water runs the risk of throwing off the balance of the wine.
2) If you make the kit according to the directions and it doesn't turn out well for some reason the manufacturer will warranty the kit. Their customer service team will also be a lot more willing to help you if you call them. Go off on your own and you could be on your own.
3) You need a baseline to know if your tweak helped the wine or made it taste worst. Unless you've made it once by the instructions you have no way to know the effect of your changes.
4) The manufacture has made each kit 100's even 1,000s of times before it ever gets to you to perfect the recipe. They have highly skilled wine professionals, many with PhD's in wine making who create the kits. You have "you" who is starting his or her first batch of wine ever. Who do you think stands a better chance of producing a better tasting wine?

I'm not saying that you should never experiment. Once you have made a few kits and have some experience and a baseline to judge the effects of your tweaks go for it. I just think it is a bad idea to start making tweaks right off the bat before you some experience.

For cheaper/low end kits, if you are so inclined, go for it…adding a little less water or a little more sugar, in some cases, are pretty minor and common tweaks. Hard pressed to believe anyone has ever ruined a low end wine by doing so (in moderation obviously).

However, by cost and at 16L, I am would not personally classify Winexpert Selection a cheap, low end kit…more mid-range…

Good advice from Dhaynes. follow that; then look up the threads from Joe's wine (I'm surprised he has not weighed in already). Joe is the master tweeker around here. He uses the very low end Fontana kits from Amazon and having made some using some of those techniques I know they produce drinkable wine. Something to tide you over while you let your high end kits mature.

Latest posts

Back