Water Jug for Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineNewbie

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used one of those plastic water cooler jugs for a secondary (instead of Carboy)? I think they are maybe only 5 gallons, but was considering using one instead of purchasing another Carboy.
I'm not talking about bulk aging, but only the secondary fermentation and clearing stages. Also not sure what size bung would fit these containers.Edited by: WineNewbie

This topic has come up many times and it comes down to personal preference. The plastic is food safe, but there are some downs to using them: 1) Bulk aging is not recommended due to the pourous nature of the plastic and oxygen getting to the wine over long periods of time. 2) They are more flexible than glass and can be difficult to move without causing the airlock to dump water or sulfite in your wine; NOT GOOD! (fixfor this is remove airlock before moving bottle)3) They are not nearly as clear as glass, and 4) I've heard that exposure to alcohol can weaken the plastic over time (can't confirm or deny this).

I lived in New Mexico for 10 years and the tap water was almost undrinkable, so I have 3 ea 5 gallon bottles and 1 2.5 gallon in my garage here in OH. I have been tempted many times to use them, but I've always purchased another glass carboy instead.

If you plan on bottle aging your wine, I'd say go for it. As to the bung size needed, here is a link to a bungsize chart that should help: http://www.grapestompers.com/bung_sizing_chart.asp

If you happen to use the plastic bottle, take some photos and let us know how this works out.Edited by: pkcook

Hi John
I have used the 5 gallon for a secondary. It worked for me ,You just have to clean it really good & sterilize it good too. I have 4 of them but I have got 4 glass ones now

Harry

I would not recommend it at all. Why chance ruining a batch of good fine wine.

Winenewbie:

I have used one for about a year now. I only use it for secondary or clearing stages, and take a lot of extra care and caution when cleaning.

They take a #10 bung, well......... thats what I have, a 10 1/2 would be better if they have one. The #10 goes in quite a ways and is hard to remove.

I accididentally posted the exactsame question elsewhere today.
smiley8.gif

It would be nice to be able to use it. There are plastic secondaries available but i don't know if it usesa different grade of plastic that can come in frequent contact with alcohol.

The ones available @ fineVineWines and other Wine shops are called
Better bottles and are available with racking spigots which make life
alot easier. I personally do not have one and dont know if I trust one
for bulk aging but will definnetly pick up a few for secondary ferm.
They are 100 times better than water jugs as they are not pourous but I
dont know if after bulk aging for long periods of time they might give
off that plastic taste. Anybody do any bulk aging for a year or more in
these and noticed a funny taste at all?

Latest posts

Back