Water filtration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrvernon

Reaction score
Ok so I live on a lake with well water (heavy tannin and hard) so I have a salt water softening system. Is there a filter system I can put on it so I can use the tap water? RO or DI? If I get an RO system, I can fill up 5 gallons at a time and store. But is that good enough to pull off the salt?

A 5 stage RO filter will pull everything except TDS. For that you need a 6 stage.

But yes you can store it in a clean sealed container.

I use a RO for my wine, I'm on city water and my water smells terrible coming out of the faucet.

Runningwolf said:
I also have a water softner. When I made kits, I bought spring water from Walmart.

I live in Florida so all the spring water here is pulled from deep water limerock pits, not much better.

I live in an area with good tap water quality but I still use spring water for wine making. I'm concerned about the potential for microbes and the cost of spring water is minimal.

You should not use water with clorine in it for any cleaning or in your wine. Use distilled water bought from a store or RO water. That's what the commercial winerys do in California anyway and what I do. I have an RO unit that I use for all wine additions and final cleaning of any of my equipment. I hope this helps.

Gary :b

If you're going to use distilled water you will have to use a lot of yeast nutrient. Distilled water is essentially stripped of all nutrients that yeast needs to survive. The best alternative is spring water. If you want to remove most of the chlorine from tap water you can...
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with tap water
Add 1/2 teaspoon of Potassium meta bisulfide
Cover with a t shirt, cloth or towel to avoid dust and debris from falling in.
Stir once a day for 5 to 10 days or until the chlorine has dissipated.

I stand corrected

Thanks for catching the water issue. I stand corrected and don't want to give incorrect advice. I use distilled or RO water for all my cleaning. I use RO water for wine making additions. Good suggestion on getting chlorine out of regular water. Gary :slp

Thanks. I forgot to add you can use a simple pool chlorine test kit to check when your standing "bucket" water is ready.

I live in an area with good tap water quality but I still use spring water for wine making. I'm concerned about the potential for microbes and the cost of spring water is minimal.
Same here. Wally World Spring Water is cheap and I don't worry about the stray bug in my city tap water.

Back