Chlorinated Water to Clean/Prep Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkSC

Junior
Reaction score
So, I am new to the barrel club and planning to hydrate and use my first barrel soon. My city water contains chloramine, and I have read a bit about "cork taint" concerns with commercial wineries, which leads them to use filtration on their water lines. For those of you with chlorinated water, how do you hydrate/clean your barrels? I know that K-meta can be used to eliminate the chlorine and chloramine. Thus, my plan was to use hot water from the tap (garden hose attached to my water heater) added to a tiny amount of K-meta (only 4 ppm required from what I've read). Thoughts? I know that some people use water filters with garden hoses, but I haven't found one that is rated for hot water use. Or perhaps I should just use cold water with the filter?

For those interested, I found this helpful article form the brewing world: Water Filters | MoreBeer

It seems that K-meta will remove chlorine and chloramine in just a minute or two. The usual dose is around 1 campden tablet per 20 gallons. I assume that any mold in the barrel cannot produce noticeable TCA in the time it takes for the K-meta to neutralize the chloramine.

I don't think you can get TCA without corks, so just use synthetic corks (like normacorc) and forget about this issue.

Or, sure, a tiny bit of metabisulfite and also forget about this issue.

Back