Municipal Water in Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
Hello Group,

I recently filled a couple of barrel with unfiltered water not knowing issues that could develop from any chlorine my city put in the water. I did acidify the water and added 260 PPM of SO2 after filling the barrels.

Should I concerned here? Should I remove the water and fill with filtered water?

I plan on using them this Saturday.

Joe

If you can drink it (and it’s not full of extras like chlorine and fluorine) why not. Filtering if you had sediment is fine but mineral content is a good thing. Filtering does not remove bacteria that’s really the only issue to watch for.

Just my perspective!

Chlorine will dissipate if the barrel is open. Might make some chloramines if they combine with organics in the barrel, but you won’t smell them at that concentration level. I’d say the only problem you might have is using chlorinated water during ferments, and even then I doubt it.

You should definitely check the chlorine or chloramine level in your local water supply. I ruined 3 barrels by cleaning with my backyard hose, and didn’t realize it until I went to bottle. The wine smelled musty but as soon as I tasted I knew it had TCA (cork taint). Ruined $1500 worth of barrels and 15 gallons of wine. I live in Phoenix and our municipal water supply is heavily treated. If you use well water you’ll be just fine.

Latest posts

Back