Waldo's Port Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardest part was getting used to leaving the skins on. When you bite into the skin they are so bitter. Several recipes I found on the net said to leave the skins intact. One author stated that it was a good source of tannin. That was good enough for me.

If you leave the skins on it isn't messy at all. I choose to use yellowripe but NOT too ripe or black-ripe bananas as some recipes ask for. If you do use over ripe fruit,then I woulddefinitely bag the stuff.

The recipe I use as a guideline is from a "WINEMAKING" book published by Stanley F. Anderson and Dorthy Anderson (1989). They suggest leaving the skins on also.They use oranges and a little vermouth for palate complexity which iswhy I like their recipe.
(I add a Tbl.Spn. of oak chips to the primary and a Cinnamon stick to the 1st. secondary)

! (I just noticed while going over the recipe and my notesthat I used to much Vinacid R) !

Doh!

Waldo said:
Stvr said:
Mr. Waldo,
Thanks stvr....I will take the fresh bananas under advisement. Do you advocate fresh, kinda ripe or fully ripened ( kinda black) for your wine?

My preference is to use yellowripe but NOT too ripe or black-ripe bananas as some recipes ask for. If you do use over ripe fruit,then I woulddefinitely bag the stuff. It's a preference thingy I guess with an adjustment for each level of ripeness I would say.

Hey Waldo, hows about " Port Not"
smiley36.gif

How about "The Black Currants of Hell" brewed by The Black Cat's Meow Winery.
smiley36.gif
Seriously Waldo, I'm sure this wine will turn out fine, It has just been one Hellish experience. I have some Black Currant on my wish list to start some soon.

Waldo, this still just sounds so good. So, at this point how would you adjust the recipe? If we use your recipe, delete dried chips and use how much fresh bananas?

In one of the other topics, someone asked about using panty hose for strainer bags. I acknowledged using knee-high hose (yes, new ones) and they are excellent for use with bananas. They allow the banana to puree so you get the body and texture you want, but the clean up is a breeze - squeeze out everything that will squeeze out and then toss it.

Country Vines said:
Waldo, this still just sounds so good. So, at this point how would you adjust the recipe? If we use your recipe, delete dried chips and use how much fresh bananas?

In one of the other topics, someone asked about using panty hose for strainer bags. I acknowledged using knee-high hose (yes, new ones) and they are excellent for use with bananas. They allow the banana to puree so you get the body and texture you want, but the clean up is a breeze - squeeze out everything that will squeeze out and then toss it.

Country I believe 1 lb of dried bananas is equal to 4-5 medium sized whole bananas but I am going to do my next batch, hopefully this weekend with more dried bananas that I bought on e-bay. They are a red, organic that are 100% pure with nothing added.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=4399342790&rd=1&rd=1Edited by: Waldo

Stvr said:
Waldo said:
Stvr said:
Mr. Waldo,
Thanks stvr....I will take the fresh bananas under advisement. Do you advocate fresh, kinda ripe or fully ripened ( kinda black) for your wine?

My preference is to use yellowripe but NOT too ripe or black-ripe bananas as some recipes ask for. If you do use over ripe fruit,then I woulddefinitely bag the stuff. It's a preference thingy I guess with an adjustment for each level of ripeness I would say.

Thanks for the info stvr.
smiley20.gif

I racked and stabilized the wine this morning at an ending SG of 1.000 and it has remarkable characteristics of a Shiraz in both aroma and taste so it may turn out to be ok after all. It was loaded with gas and foamed liked mad when I degassed it. Was just glad Momma was sound asleep and did not see the mess before I got it all cleaned up
smiley4.gif

How long did you have to stir to degass yours wade? I know I stirred this batch over 6 minutes total time.

Latest posts

Back