Vodka Balance in Air-Locks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOESILVA401

Reaction score
I just put nearly 50 gallons of fresh juice (instead of kits this year) into 2ndary fermentation using this style airlock. The vodka is balanced and level at first, but shortly after its placed into the bung the level becomes way off! What causes this, and how can this be avoided? Thanks in advance!

image-1084923256.jpg

image-300638584.jpg

image-1733358895.jpg

You do not want both sides being equal - otherwise you proubly have an air leak. Several things causes the differences of liquid levels
teperature
barametric pressure
fermenation

You do not want both sides being equal - otherwise you proubly have an air leak. Several things causes the differences of liquid levels
teperature
barametric pressure
fermenation

I agree - I have had mine go one side one day - the other side the next day.

Watch in when a cool or warm front roles in - the liquid will shift due to the barometric pressure.

When you place the airlock on the carboy - the liquid shifts to accommodate the CO2 that is in the neck of the carboy..

thanks guys! Tons of gas on board early on here as even the bungs are getting pushed up! Appreciate the feedback...

Just a heads up - I like using the 3 piece airlock while it is fermenting, because it is alot easier to clean. I especially like the S shaped airlocks after that stage - fill the airlock prior to placing it in the carboy to make sure you have a difference in pressure (liquid ) from side to side of the airlock - if not you have a leak. It is much easier for me to give a quick glance at all my carboys - just to make sure that they all are OK - per say

Latest posts

Back