Virginia Tech Tragedy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
May God's Grace and peace be with these people as they struggle through this tragedy.

What a tragedy!
smiley13.gif

33 brillliant minds will no longer be in our future, because one child did not get a hug..... Have you hugged your child today...... Show them you care, that you will be there....... No matter what.

God bless the families, our hearts and prayers are with you.

Jobe,

Once again, you and I are on the same page. In all of our busy lives, we fail to appreciate life! I came home and gave my daughters a great big hug. I do that everyday, but today's was extra special, since one of them will be going to college next year.

Our prayers go out to everyone who lost a loved one today. The U.S. lost a little more of our innocence.

This is very disturbing and a real tragedy and we will continue to pray for the hundreds of family members who will be directly impacted by this.

"Remembering Christ in adversity can give us hope. It can both give us perspective and give us remembrance that we benefit and learn from experience as he did. Remembering Christ can also give us of his spirit and bring us hope, and faith, and peace."

I used to be a real news junkie but lately it has been very upsetting to me especially when a tradgedy like this happens. I could barely watch and had to turn it off. It sticks with you constantly. George I know this really had to effect you with your daughter going off to school.

Life has to go on but you just want to hold your kids close and never let them go...no matter how old they are.

Ramona

Amen to the thoughts above...
Much as I knew it would beupsetting to me, I just read the "profiles" of the victims that are known -- and said a short prayer and thought of each one as a person and the ripple effects of the tragedy on each lost life. Obviously, there are the effects on family and friends. In those who wereyoung there was so much they would do, but now that's lost to us all. In the professors --four (so far) thatI counted -- one world-renowned aeronautical scientist and holocaust survivorbarred the doorso that other students couldescape. Another prof was known for his gentle way and popularity as a gifted teacher. Each gave so much to others.

What couldthese young peoplehave done for the rest of us? So much potential lost. That is how I think this - the ripple effect -affects all of us, not just those directly involved. I pray that God helps those they left behind and that He helps all of us remember tofind the positive in life and to care for one another.

Dave

Senseless loss of life such as this is the hardest to understand-especially when it's taken by the hand of a peer.

My heart and prayersgo out to thepeople who have lost loved ones.

Tragedy and insanity can happen anywhere. I live in Memphis, which has one of the top 5 per-capita murder rates in the country. Many of the victims fall into the "innocent bystander" category.

I have three college connections. My stepdaughter is a PhD candidate at UT Austin. My daughter is the secretary to the Dean of Students at Rhodes College here in Memphis. My son starts at the U of Memphis in the fall.

To top it all off, SWMBO is a court reporter in the Shelby County Criminal Courts. She is in a trial this week and next of the local head of one of the gangs (Gangster Disciples, Travelling Vice Lords - I don't remember which). The last time she did a trial for someone so "exhalted" the back of the courtroom was populated by SWAT with M-16's.

There are many ways to describe how I feel about it. "Karma is karma" is how it is described in Shogun, one of my favorite books of all time.

In the movie Heartbreak Ridge (directed by and starring Clint Eastwood - another favorite) the following conversation takes place between Gunny Highway (Eastwood) and LT Ring, the platoon leader, after PVT Profile gets killed:

Ring: "It's my fault, Gunny. I led them up here."
Highway: "It was his time. When it's your time it doesn't matter how good you are or how fast you run."

And I guess this latin phrase sums it up: Dum vivimus, vivamus - While we live, let us live.

A few us was talking today at the office about this tragedy. One aspect we forget is the scars this will leave on hundreds of those young people that witnessed first hand, how cruel life can be, in the blink of an eye.

What will be on the minds of those kids in the hours, days, weeks and years after this? Will some accept this as a way of life for their generation? After all, there have been several of these type shootings in their short life span. There has been 2 wars in their life time, 2 attacks on their country during their lives. Although we too live within these tragedies like these kids, we, the elder, know of a different time, and are appalled only at recent events, yet these events are all these kids know............ How sad is that............ Not what I want for my kids and grandkids.

Jobe,
Exactly...just wish we could turn the time back so they could have a glimpse of what freedom from fear is all about..............Ramona

I'm sorry, Ramona, but I have to disagree. My paternal grandfather fled poverty in northern Greece in 1916 to come here, without his wife.

My maternal grandfather fled oppression (he, too was Greek, but the Turks took over the business he worked for) from Cyprus, also in 1916, to come here, also without his wife and newborn daughter.

They both managed to bring their wives over here after WW1. They both lived through two world wars.

My father and my uncle both served in WWII. My uncle was wounded in Italy (Purple Heart), and won the Bronze Star in the Pacific. My father never left the States. He spent 1945 purifying plutonium at Los Alamos (note the chemical background?).

I went through high school worrying about being drafted into Vietnam. By the time I graduated HS (1971) the college deferment had ceased to exist. My lottery number was going to decide if I went to college or Vietnam. Fortunately, I was classified 1H, and if you know what that means, then you were there with me. Load into that the assinations of RFK and MLK my freshman year of HS.

Prior to that, I remember nuclear attack drills, where we all had to go into hall and put our heads between our legs (and kiss our a**es goodbye). I remember the TV broadcasts during the Cuban Missle Crisis. I was 9 years old. I was 10 when JFK was assassinated.

The kids today have never known the fear that all of those who went before them knew. There might have been a Golden Age for those born around 1960 - too young to know about the Cuban Missle Crisis, too young for Vietnam, too young for Mutually Assured Destruction, and too old for school shootings.

College kids today have been through no wars (Iraq 1 lasted 3 months, and Iraq 2 is no threat - there is no draft), it's just something to ignore on the news.

It is a tragedy - I don't dispute that. But more kids die in a year in auto accidents than have died in the history of school shootings.

I can't think of a group of kids who have more freedom from fear.

I feel for all those who lost loved ones in Virginia Tech, I lost a very good friend to a senseless shooting 33 years ago, and sat with his wife in the emergency room when they told her he was gone. I think we are missing some of the reality of this latest massacre, it isn't only kids that go on shooting rampages. There have been many senseless mass killings committed by adults too. These are people who would have been locked up in institutions 25 years ago, that's about when the courts decided that these people could live out in society instead of being locked up their whole lives. This is the high price that society now pays for that decision. The killer in this latest incident had been recognized as being, what shall we call it?, insane? He was deemed as not to be enough of a danger to keep locked up, despite his continued antisocial behaviors.
DaveEdited by: DaveB50

I pray for all the friends and family of these young people who were gunned down in the prime of their lives."Why" is something none of us will ever be able to comprehend. The void that is left in their absence will never be filled.
I have four daughters- 15, 12, 8, and 6. They have been profoundly affected by this incident.My husband and I have always tried to create a safe haven for our children on our modest piece of land in the countryside.But we have realized, as hard as we try, we cannot protect our children from every foe that would seek to harm them. America must realize that "we are as strong as our weakest link". When thereare young peoplein serious physical(from abuse) or mental trouble, it can affect ALL of our children.May we never forget that children are this nation's most precious commodity.

God bless America and our children!

DaveB50, I agree with you!

PeterZ, I also totally agree with you -does this generation truly know the price of freedom???Edited by: ms.spain

NBC has taken this to a new level with their decision to air the garbage that was mailed to them from the killer. Thankfully I was not watching TV last night when this was played.

NBC and most of the other media's sensationalism for only one reason "ratings" has to be devastating to the hundreds of family and friends of those killed. It will also only encourage other lost folks to possibly act out to get even fortheir troubles since you gave thekiller everything he wanted!

Shame on NBC as your selfish, thoughtless, and total lack of compassion decision to publicly air this filth is despicable and can not be justified for any reason. You better start working on your defense since your day of judgment will come and I seriously doubt God will accept any excuse for this.

Im so tired of news already that I dont even watch anymore!I think
someone with a little good judgement should over see what is being
reported and dont beat the subject to death either. It is a terrible
loss of life and will not be forgotten but like the 9-11 coverage, I
dont want to be watching it for the next three months nor do the
families that have lost loveones, IMO.

Edited by: wade

Poor choice -- and devalues the victims -- and today they are falling all over themselves justifying it. Thank goodness the families chose to not go on the air with them (Today show) because of it -- I voted similarly -- I hit the "power" button.

I pretty much don't watch the news anymore. Around here the News Director's mantra is "If it bleeds, it leads."

I get home from work at 5 PM. I'm usually here until between 6 and 7, depending on how many tomes I write. I'd much rather be here with you than watching the crap they call news these days. Where is Walter Cronkite when you need him?

Wade - the real brains of the outfit here is SWMBO. She had 6 brothers and sisters, and I think she got the brains for all of them. The thing I love about her most, after 30 years together and 28+ years of marriage, is that I have never been bored. I'm middlin' smart, and very well educated. She dropped out of HS in 9th grade to take care of her family (oldest girl, sick mother), and is brilliant. She once tested out at the 99th + percentile - but she had a migraine that day.

BTW - you now have me at your mercy. If you meet her at Winestock and tell her I told you this, she'll kill me.

Back