WineXpert Viognier kit. Holy harshness!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
I bottled my wineXpert Viognier kit about 2 weeks ago. I opened a bottle last night and damn it was very harsh tasting. I tried to chill it and drink it room temp. It still had a very tart/stinging taste to it. I'm not sure how a commercial Viognier actually tastes because I've never found one in a store. However, the store I bought the kit from said it is similar to a riesling. It is hard to put into words how it tastes. It doesn't taste bad, per se, it just has a bitter after taste. Will this go away with age?

I've done a few of these kits and they all seemed to come out fine except this one.

Its nothing like a Riesling except that its a white wine. This will take a minimum of 6 mo to really be approachable and 9 mo will be 10X better. It will only get better with age up to ~ 3 years or so. 3P's on this one.

I've done the WE Selection Viognier kit myself, and it was my experience that the wine definitely improved after 3-6 months. It will keep improving after that, however. Give it time.

Thanks!! I was hoping a little time in the bottle would help it out. I made a mocsato kit from the same company and it was drinkable in a few days. I didn't get a chance to even age it.:d It was pretty darn good. The sweetness of the moscato probably masked its "youngness".

Latest posts

Back