Vintner's Harvest Pear Fruit Base

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I finally got around to starting this batch of pear wine, but when I opened the can, I found a couple of surprises. First, no fruit. This was more like a puree. But the most striking thing was the color. It was brown!
smiley3.gif
Does anyone know if this is normal? I imagined that pear puree would be white.
Anyway, turns out I didn't have enough sugar on hand. Ooops! Only got the SG up to 1.068. No problem though. I'll pick up another bag of sugar at the store today. Meanwhile, themixture is soaking in k-meta and pectic enzyme. It's a 3.5-gal batch, and I followed the directions on the can except for the 6-lbs of sugar. I plan to just add sugar to reach an SG of 1.080. Oh, and I added a box of white raisins.

Pears brown really easy and unless the can lists ascorbic acid as a content, then it is no surprise that it browned. Think of an apple that you take a bite or two out of and don't finish right away. That turns brown (oxidizes just like rust) just like the pears will. You could add ascorbic acid now, but it won't get rid of the brown color. Just make it like you normally would and it will probably get lighter as it clears.

Some Vintner's Harvest cans have fruit but many are strictly a puree.

Thanks Appleman. No ascorbic acid listed in the ingredients, just pear concentrate and water. I'm not bothered by the color, just surprised. It's a caramel color now that it's all mixed up. I just pitched the yeast after 20 hours soaking with k-meta and pectic enzyme. Final recipe as follows:

1 96 oz can VH Pear Concentrate
12 oz box white rasins
~3 cans warm water
Sugar to SG 1.085
6 tsp acid blend
1-3/4 tsp pectic enzyme
1-3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1/8-1/4 tsp k-meta (just under 1/4tsp)
1 packet Montrachet yeast

There are probably a few of these cans that dont contain any fruit at all like the black current.Kind of surprised about the color thing though, is there ab expiration date on the can?

My pear concentrate was the same - brownish color. The wine (now almost completed fermentation) looks like apple cider. It was a little unexpected here too - but tasted good at the last racking.

Thanks Bailey! Keep me posted on your batch. Mine was a bit slow to start but seems to be foaming up good at lunch time today.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back