Vignoles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovis

Reaction score
So I started 6 gallons of Vignoles

I added 2 tsp of tannin, 1/4 tsp Kmeta, 2 tsp of acid blend.

The next day I pitched d47, after reading that d47 needs to ferment somewhat cold I decided to pitch 1116 so it would take over the other yeast that had not really started rumbling too much at all yet.

I do want to use d47 in the future though, perhaps in the winter when I can store it in a cold place.

Have any of you done anything with vignloles? I was blown away with how incredible the juice tasted before I started adding the chemicals. I hope this turns out amazing.

Or have any of you worked with d47 to know about how it handles higher temps like 70F?

Probably should have just kept it going then. A site I found said temps above 68degrees can cause off flavors.

Tovis, I have used a lot of D47, and like what it does for my whites. I make sure to have added nutrient, and do a starter for the yeast. It often can take a couple days to get any noticeable reaction. Personally I do not stir the must until I hear at least a light fizz. On a couple occasions I have added energizer on day 3 if no reaction yet. D47 can be slow and seem stubborn, but that is exactly why it is so fab for white wines. Slow and steady holds onto all the qualities that are in the best white wines.

I also use QA23, and that one is not as slow to start. Also can create higher ABV than D47 in case that is needed.

Pam in cinti

Do you think a D47 would have been better in Vingnoles then 1116?

Personally I've only used 1116 and 1118 as a means to finish off stalled fermentation. I've read 1116 is a good fruit wine yeast, but don't have any real experience of using it alone to compare to D47. When I buy juice buckets at my local brew store (Luva Bella buckets) they tell me the red buckets have 1118 and the white buckets have 1116 in them already. I do my best to stun that yeast and then toss my yeast of choice, tho what I've read of 1116 and 1118 is that they have a high kill factor that basically knocks out any other yeast in the mix. Probably futile attempt on my part, but I like D47 enough that I continue to try.

Bottom line is D47 is good, but a slow starter and slow worker. It takes patience, but I admit it really helps to know that it is so slow, otherwise, like you just did, one assumes it is not working at all.

Pam in cinti

Can you make an F-Pack by freezing juice and separating it from the ice somehow?

Back