Very First Timer/White Zin.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpcrane

Reaction score
Really need help!!
Back Sweetning a Kit of (White Zin.),...
My very first batch...I made a 5 gal. Batch of Zin.,
Plus, I also baught a bottle of pre made sweeetiner, ..
That says ir treats from 5 gal. to 12gal.....
Since I don't yet have a palet to taste & know how much to add.
What are the suggestions to pour into a batch of white Zin...

Some details may help. What brand was the kit? Are there instructions? Do you own a hydrometer? What is the brand (or any other identifying information) of the "pre made sweetener"?

To show just how much of a Greenhorn i am to all this I do have a hydrometer and have never used it. I just went completely by the amounts in the instructions.
The kit is a SunCal and the conditioner is a bottle of E.C. Kraus wine conditioner.

I know I should have took SG readings through out the whole proses but I never did. I just racked when the instructions said to rack.... 8 days, 2 weeks, and again at 2 months.
I'll will take all the readings next time, I just wanted to make sure I got through my first batch without contaminating it in any way.

To show just how much of a Greenhorn i am to all this I do have a hydrometer and have never used it. I just went completely by the amounts in the instructions.
The kit is a SunCal and the conditioner is a bottle of E.C. Kraus wine conditioner.
Nothing wrong with following the instructions. In fact, that's a common suggestion to rookies. Unfortunately, I have to say that I don't think that the SunCal instructions are very good (http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-suncal-directions/).

Before sweetening your wine, it should be stabilized. This is mentioned in the instructions "Dissolve wine stabilizer in sweetened wine to prevent renewed fermentation". However, most of us here will recommend that potassium meta-bisulphite AND potassium sorbate be added PRIOR to sweetening. Your wine conditioner probably contains some sorbate, but probably not enough unless your are adding a fair bit of conditioner.

Steve

Mountainman is right, go by your own taste, but sweeten, taste, LET SET A WHILE, and taste again. They seen to get a little sweeter after they set for a bit, it's easy to over do it.
Mike

Thanks for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it.
And now for the Bisulfites & the Sorbate, how much of each should I probably add to 5 gallons?

1/4 tsp k-meta and probably 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon. Check the sorbate bottle for instructions, tho. Arne.

Congrats on getting into winemaking, you will really enjoy it.

The hydrometer is your friend. Even if the kit instructions state to do something after a certain amount of time, your batch will vary every time based on things like temperature, freshness of ingredients, etc. So it may progress slower or faster than the instructions. The hydrometer will also let you know if the wine is progressing at all - it will save you from racking or bottling a wine that hasn't fermented entirely, and also let you know if fermentation is stuck. As long as it is cleaned and sanitized, then it will not contaminate your wine. You would benefit from a wine notebook or journal where you can make notes with dates of starting SG (specific gravity), SG at each stage, and final SG.

K-meta is important to be used to stabilize after fermentation is complete. Next batch, take a hydrometer reading to be sure that has happened, then add the k-meta. Dosing is on the bottle; if your kit contains a package of it, put it in per the kit instructions.

Sorbate is important when you'll be back-sweetening the wine. Add along with k-meta at stabilizing time. Dosing is on the bottle; if your kit contains a package of it, put it in per the kit instructions.

Can't give any advice on the wine conditioner you're using as I have not tried that one.

The suggestion above to taste the wine before adding anything is a really good one. The reason is that you may not have fermented to "dry" so your wine may already be sweet.

Feel free to ask questions, there are folks in this forum who have made hundreds or thousands of batches. Also consider getting a book about winemaking fundamentals... it's helpful to know what's happening and why. :)

Good luck!

Heather

1/4 tsp k-meta and probably 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon. Check the sorbate bottle for instructions, tho. Arne.

To clarify Arnes info. Use 1/4 tsp k-meta for 5 to 6 gallons of wine, and 1/2 tsp sorbate for each gallon.

LOUMIK

My Island Mist has 5.5 grams of K-Sorbate and 4 grams of K-Meta.

Note: Some people don't like the taste of the wine conditioner. You can make your own sweetener by:

1) combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pot
2) Stir, heat to boiling, and reduce heat to slow simmer
3) Stir to dissolve all the sugar
4) Stir and simmer for a few more minutes (5-10)

Use that to sweeten the wine. Sweeten in stages. Stir, let sit 12-24 hours, stir, and sample. As the sugar dissolves into the wine, it sweetens even more (the sugar is broken down into glucose and fructose). Waiting also helps to disperse the sugar (don't want to stir too much and oxidate the wine).

Save whatever you don't use to sweeten mixed drinks, or to add into your primary to boost the ABV of a kit.

Last edited:
To clarify Arnes info. Use 1/4 tsp k-meta for 5 to 6 gallons of wine, and 1/2 tsp sorbate for each gallon.

LOUMIK

Thank you, Lou. Help me to remember I am talking with some folks that are trying to learn how things work. I do appreciate it. Thank again. Arne.

Thanks to all, especially Rich, for the very indepth detail. And I'll also go ahead and cook up a batch of my own sugar too then.
Thanks Gang!

Back