Value

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
20070513_092413_value_Small.jpg

Looking through the local sale paper today really drove home what a sound financial decision it is to make your own, Notice the Clos du Bois Cab, $12.88 ON SALE! We can make Mosti Mondiale - Renaissance Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon for $4.17 A BOTTLE! And that my friends, is a TOP END KIT! Was fun looking at the different brands and types, then looking at what George has available, We are very fortunate indeed!
smiley20.gif

JW, those prices are about half of what we pay in Canada for any of those items. Imagine the taxes on those suckers up here, if they are double the price
smiley19.gif
No wonder we canadians love to border shop the duty free. On a much happier note,
smiley17.gif
The dollar rose again today its over 92 cents US. perhaps if it gets much closer we could join into one currency similr to what they did with the Euro. IfI remember correctly they thought aboutthis before at one time!!

$.92...WOW!!! I am about to drawon the Canadian Pension Plan...so I won't be loosing as much as I first thought on exchange rate...money from Heaven.....
smiley4.gif
Money from above anyway!!!

and I have heard that Austrailia is out of water and their vineyards are suffering. As as result, the cheap Aussie brands may be very limited this year which will drive the price of commercial wines up. It should be good for home wine making supply stores and more reason to make your own.

I will start a MM All-Juice Amarone in about 9 days. Cheapest Amarone at my local liquor store is $49.95 (minus my 5% discount, plus 9.25% sales tax) for a total of $51.84. At that rate I could pay, for the kit, bottles, corks, capsules, and labels, a total of $1552.56 and still break even.

I will have to buy one bottle of good Amarone (about 18 months from now) to use as a basis for comparison.

Ive never had an Amarone, be interesting to see your opinion on that one as it progresses.

Peter,

I too will be watching for your posts on the MM Amarone. As you know, I like the precision of your posts.

I have had the pleasure of drinking Amarone in Italy - at ridiculous
prices! So, I have been interested in trying to make it at home, even
if we have to wait two years or more for it to be ready. It was an easy
choice for our third kit started 4/14 a WE SI 16L. When we put that
juice in the primary it's color and fragrance was wonderful!

JW, I can't see how to get unit costs down to $4 per! The way I see it
is I've got $2800 in since March 1 and will get about 270 bottles out -
around 10$ per. You must count your kit only. I am including equiment
and wine cellar upgrades (which have more to go, of course....)

Edited by: Jack on Rainy

NW and Trig,

I am a border shopper too but it is pretty much over for a while. Wine
kits at the local store in Ft Frances cost more than having George ship
them to me from TX!

BTW, I remember the Common Currency conversations in the early seventies. Canadian media were lively on the topic!

Edited by: Jack on Rainy

I've started a MM Alljuice Amerone Back in February and has been bulk aging for about three months. Trying to make it to 6 months but wife has started eyeballing it. Beuatiful aroma.

Latest posts

Back