New from Rhode Island and questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspirito

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. My name is Dave, I'm 28, and I'm a Web developer from Rhode Island. I'm a new winemaker and am completely hooked! I enjoy all types of wine but have developed into narrowing down my favorites to a handful of reds including cabernet sauvignon, franc, grenache, syrah, and zinfandel. OK, maybe I didn't narrow it down too much.

My love of wine really started while vacationing to Vermont where we often visited Boyden Valley in Cambridge. It's a picturesque vineyard and they make some excellent wine. My family vacations in Vermont every year and we always we stop by, often a few times in the week we're up there. I should also mention I'm of Italian descent so I'm sure that had a hand in the wine passion ;)

I started making wine last year with help from my neighbor Luke who has quite a few medals and has been making wine for over 20 years. I showed interest and he was happy to show me the ropes and also bring my wife and I to some American Wine Society gatherings. Luke's wine is some of the best I've had, and he quite often blends a handful of varietals into pure perfection.

I first started with a pinot gris kit and we added some chardonnay and lightly oaked it. It turned out great and everyone was looking for more so I knew what I had to do! I bought a second kit, Brunello (sangiovese grape) and with Lukes guidance have had that going for a few months. As Luke said, I need to build up an inventory, and I had been wanting get some fresh juice for awhile so now I'm on to Chilean carmenere and viognier. 6 gallons of each from Mosti Mondiale. It's about done fermenting and I wanted to join in here and get active in the community and because like most new winemakers I have questions!

It's more that I'm worried about this batch since Luke helped me with the others much more. I fermented them at his house and really did everything there since he was setup and had all the gear.

I'm 8 days into fermentation and the carmenere is at S.G. 1.002 and I'm not sure if I should transfer to a carboy or do MLF in the pail? I have mlf yeast and nutrients to add.

I'm also nervous that for fermentation I left the cover open and it's been open without airlock the whole time. Luke taught me to leave the cover loose and it will be fine. But I'm not sure if I left it too open and whether I need to close it yet?

The other issue is equipment. I have a 6gal must and 5gal carboy so have to get a 1gallon setup quick for capacity.

Luckily the white took longer to start and it's not done fermenting and at 1.042 SG.

Welcome aboard, Dave!

The fact that you left the lid loose during fermentation is just fine. Personally, I would rack (transfer) to the carboy at this time.

Thanks! I'm going to transfer it after work, I'm going to keep most of the sediment. I have heard arguments either way, and will search the forum when I remember for discussions on the matter.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk if Luke doesn't have the answer somebody on this forum will. Put it in a carboy now.

Good luck, Steve

Thanks!

I racked the Carmenere and added MLF ingredients last night. Also added 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient to both.

I knew I was in for it because I had a 5 gal carboy and 6 gal of must. I don't know why the guy at the supply store sold me 5 gal when I was looking at 6 gals. He had some used ones for cheap, but should've just bought the 6s anyway! Gotta call him later.

Ended up needing an extra 3 bottles, but I'm going to get the 6 gal carboys in a hurry, especially before I transfer the white thats almost done fermenting.

Back