Vacuvin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I received my vacuvin, went to degass my caberlot and figured out I don't know how to use this thing!! haha No directions on the back of the package.
Doesn't fit tight on the carboy, so, how does this thingie work? hahaha

Wayne, that is the whip stirrer, I believe. The vacuvin is a small attachment that you pump up and down to degass your wine.

Yes, he starts with the stirrer - after that he gets to the VacuVin

I use one of these.

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">14604 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2610_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Carboy Cap Universal, one size fits all

Fits 3, 5 &amp; 6 gallon glass carboys!</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$2.69</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$2.69 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td></tr></t></table>
I remove the larger center white cap and slide the gray stopper OVER that spout. The rubber on rubber makes a good seal. I then attach the pump and go to town. My method will not hold a vacuum for an extended period of time so I pretty well have to pump, wait a minute or so and repeat over an over until I am done. It normally doesn't take that long though.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

I got a vacuvin this afternoon, and it works fairly well. Can't believe how much CO2 is dissolved it those 1 gallon batches. Its a neat show on a 6 gallon.

But how do I know when I am done? Will no more CO2 come out of solution? I used it on my tomato wine quite a number of times and it still seems to have more CO2.

smurfe said:
I use one of these.

<t></t><table id="products" width="100%" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td width="2%" align="default"><div align="center">14604 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2610_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Carboy Cap Universal, one size fits all

Fits 3, 5 &amp; 6 gallon glass carboys!</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$2.69</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$2.69 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td></tr></t></table>
I remove the larger center white cap and slide the gray stopper OVER that spout. The rubber on rubber makes a good seal. I then attach the pump and go to town. My method will not hold a vacuum for an extended period of time so I pretty well have to pump, wait a minute or so and repeat over an over until I am done. It normally doesn't take that long though.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

It works good but in my opinion will not remove enough gas as a brake bleeder. Its main purpose is just to evacuate air out of a wine bottle and not to create a strong vacuum to pull out air or gases out of fluid though it does so it actually does more then it was designed to do. To really get out gas with that I advise you to stir very well with drill mounted stirrer and then use Vacuvin. Rock carboy vigorously and then vac. it again. You will have to do this a few times with the Vacuvin. As far as knowing when you are done, watch the size of the bubbles that are going up as small bubbles are gas and larger bubbles are just vacuum being pulled through the wine.
Edited by: wade

Well, I guess I need to get that brake bleeder then as a primary way to degas along with the mix-stir.

It does work much better but that Vacuvin is priceless for evacuating bottles as I have learned 1st hand with my bottles. They really last quite awhile longer then without using it. If you are going to get the brake bleeder, get 1 with the gauge on it and youll know when you are done as you will be able to see the results when you cn hod a vacuum of around 20". Its a beautiful thing when you KNOW your done instaed of just assuming!

If this helpswhen your pulling a vacuum on a liquid your dropping the pressure inside the vessel and at a specific point different elements have different boiling points at sea level or at there atmospheric pressure,first to boil out would be lite gasses,then in layers heaver gasses then liquids,so if you looked at your wine as layers of different elements each with their own boiling point,thats how it goes without getting to tech.,taste it does it have gas still if so do some more,taste is your greatest asset,use it,when your wine will finish out only you and your wine will truly know,pulling to deep of a vacuum can lead to wine burnout of flavor and all you will have left is colored alcohol and not much more else ,......................it can be repaired,,,I,ve done it

I hear you Joeswine. I just read an artical on this. It was about the vinvac and keeping you wine after opening the bottle. The result was that the vinvac worked well enough for red wines yet not well at all for white. It said that the vinvac pulled the fruityflavor out of the white. I like red dry wine and do not care for sweet white. I puller down a bottle of sweet white that no one else would drink, vinvaced over night. The next day it was flat and flavorless (now I could drink it, sweet white is like chewing on tin foil to me. ) They said that the best way to save the white was to cork and place in th fridg.

Huh, Ill have to try a side by side comparison with 2 of the same bottles of white and test that theory myself. Thanks for sharing that.

remember wadethe wine is developed in layers on components ,if its done in moderation not that big of a deal but, you will still take away some of the components you,ve tried to incorporate in to the complexity of the wine just by the the shear motion of stirring molecules are in motion,thats way they say wine dosen,t like movement at least thats my take on it,every thing in moderation is the key.............
you can still do the vac/function,but you need to taste to see the effects if any had occured.......................yes i still us mine but very low inches of vac//8 to 10 at best learn,t my lesson well remember..................

Well you vacc'ed it beyond what most people do, (25-30" if i remember correctly) with a motorized vacuum which is extreme.

To get the taste out of the white I gave that vac *&amp;%$ and I lost most of the flavor yet the study implied that if you used it correctly you were still better off dumping the pump and placing the white in the fridg.Again they said that to save the red the best was the vac or transferring to a smaller bottle.

I guess the best thing to do is just to finish the bottle then cause I have left whit wine in the fridge over night with cork on as I just bought the vacuvin not to long ago and it usually tastes like crap the next day probably cause it is so delicate. To me it seemed better with the vacuvin but maybe it was just a less fragile wine.

Well, I can not be a judge on white. As I said I likewhite better when it tastes like crap the next day. I will stay with my red wine, red meat and a big block of hunter cheese ( Just for the record I am a US Scottsman with a Frenchman's diet not a Frenchman)

thats correct but since then i have used the vac/as stated at 8/10 inches with know i,ll affect so far,i only used it as an assist not for the hole job istill degassed with the spinner to be safe i guess we need to keep all the avenues open..................................

Latest posts

Back