Using Turbo clear question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeludor

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently waiting for my wine to finish in the secondary. Once that's done i will rack for aging. First question, is that a good time to use the turbo clear or do I want to wait until the following rack of needed?
Also, can the turbo clear (2 part mix) be done in the carboy, or do i have to put it back in my primary to clear then back into a carboy? (That part has me concerned since I'd rather not introduce more oxygen than necessary.

Edit: I'm going to assume that it needs to go back into the primary temporarily because it will need to be degassed.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would try to De-gas as much as possible prior to fining the wine. If it is still fermenting I'd wait and rake a couple of times first. If you are not in hurry you can wait and time will take care of de-gassing and clarification issues. Fining and de-gassing can both be done in the carboy. Patience is the best option though. Wait, wait, wait.....

How would the 2 stage be stirred in the carboy? Its supposed to be stirred and add part 1, then an hour later stir just the surface for part 2. That 2 inch mouth on the carboy doesn't leave a lot of room to stir the surface.

Isn't Turbo-clear a mix fining agents used by distillers? If it is, I wonder if it really works to fine a wine or simply removes enough of the particulates to avoid scorching in moonshine stills...

It's what the wine shop sold me. I asked for sparklloid they said this is what we use.

I've since ordered sparklloid and bentonite. Waiting on delivery. I just didnt want to waste the other stuff.

How would the 2 stage be stirred in the carboy? Its supposed to be stirred and add part 1, then an hour later stir just the surface for part 2. That 2 inch mouth on the carboy doesn't leave a lot of room to stir the surface.

I use a stir stick personally. 30" long 1/2" in diameter. Works for me.

You may need to remove a few ounces of the wine to allow for the volume displacement prior to putting your stirring stick in the carboy. You can return it when finished.

I generally do not use fining agents (I am a kosher vegetarian and some (chitosan) are shell-fish based) but the idea that you add one an hour after the first is not standard procedure in wine making, is it? I thought kits that include those finings suggest that you basically add them one after the other, No? And is the order you add them in critical?

Directions as per the package and website: Add Turbo Clear; first stir vigorously to remove all gas, then add part A and stir well. 1 hour later, evenly and gently mix part B in the top of the wash. Leave for 24 hours to clear.

Latest posts

Back