Using fruit after straining

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Carrie, Jul 22, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jul 22, 2019 #1

Carrie

Carrie

Carrie

Junior

I’ve got a batch of blueberry wine fermenting in a straining bag in a 5 gallon bucket. I’m about to pour the wine into a 3 gallon carboy and I hate to throw away all that fruit. I’m afraid if I can it as jam or sauce, it could explode. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do with this fermented fruit?

2. Jul 22, 2019 #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

There really won't be much left of it anyway after you squeeze all the liquid out of the fruit. Just toss it onto your compost pile or into the trash. Some will try to make a second run of wine or of it, but I never have even done that.

3. Jul 22, 2019 #3

Arne

Arne

Arne

Go to the skeeter pee thread and check the recipe. Throw all the ingredients on top of the blueberries. Should give you a blueberry lemon wine when you are done. Arne.

4. Jul 22, 2019 #4

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

If you properly prepared you blueberries there should be nothing left now except for the fine seeds and skins. Not much to use. Blueberry wine batches I've made are about the lowest in leftover fruit product of all the fruits except for Blackberry/Raspberry wines.

As for making jam - Unless you like blueberry seeds....

5. Aug 9, 2019 #5

T-Boy

T-Boy

T-Boy

Junior

Compost.

6. Aug 9, 2019 #6

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Put it out on a stump and get some wildlife drunk. :db. I suspect a possum or raccoon would be likeliest to indulge. But I'd love to see a squirrel after eating it.

Chris Mellor likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2019 #7

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Junior

Part of me is horrified at this...

Another part thinks about the scientific implications of alcohol and animals.

And the last part (by far the larger) finds the whole idea wanting to make sure you film it when you do

8. Aug 9, 2019 #8

Brettanomyces

Brettanomyces

Brettanomyces

I can't imagine there would be much left, either. But I have to know - why the fear of something exploding?

9. Aug 10, 2019 #9

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Given that such castoff stuff normally sits untouched for at least a day, I have my doubts that any significant alcohol is left.

On the otherhand, should I ever spot any intoxicated raccoons or squirrels I will take the opportunity to also force feed them some lead as they along,with the deer have done significant damage to
    our garden, our blueberries, apple trees, and grape Vines.

Chris Mellor likes this.
  10. Aug 10, 2019 #10

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Junior

I live in a large urban area in the Netherlands...

The worst we get is the occasional hedgehog, birds and slugs. Our opportunities for dealing out lead poisoning are limited but I catch the sentiment

11. Aug 10, 2019 #11

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

* The anthropologists have already observed alcoholic behavior in wild monkey colonies. You will be late at publishing.
    * The alcohol content/ moisture content of the press pulp is not significant, ie it will not explode.
    * Factory generated pulp is generally composted since there is so much of it. Occasionally a company will find a hog farmer who is close enough that it is economic to truck it over, it does have nutritional value. Every year journal of food science has one or two articles about a novel fiber derived from press pulp.

12. Aug 10, 2019 #12

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Tried making "Crackers" from apple residue from my Omega juicer but the flavor was pretty weak. As for leftover (Post-Ferment) residue the alcohol level should initially be the same as the wine. There is also the yeasty smell and flavor. Some types of fruit residue might be able to add a little flavor or color to milder flavored wines. We've used some peach wine residue (Post-Ferment) on vanilla ice cream and it was pretty good other than the yeasty taste. Guess it depends on your likes/dislikes and of course on the fruit.

13. Aug 10, 2019 #13

beano

beano

beano

Regular Guy

I have thrown like fruit in with the leftovers to make a simaler wine but I also use them to flavor my homemade dog biscuits.
    Great fiber and the Pups love them.