Using fruit after straining

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrie

Junior
Reaction score
I’ve got a batch of blueberry wine fermenting in a straining bag in a 5 gallon bucket. I’m about to pour the wine into a 3 gallon carboy and I hate to throw away all that fruit. I’m afraid if I can it as jam or sauce, it could explode. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do with this fermented fruit?

Go to the skeeter pee thread and check the recipe. Throw all the ingredients on top of the blueberries. Should give you a blueberry lemon wine when you are done. Arne.

If you properly prepared you blueberries there should be nothing left now except for the fine seeds and skins. Not much to use. Blueberry wine batches I've made are about the lowest in leftover fruit product of all the fruits except for Blackberry/Raspberry wines.

As for making jam - Unless you like blueberry seeds....

Put it out on a stump and get some wildlife drunk. :db. I suspect a possum or raccoon would be likeliest to indulge. But I'd love to see a squirrel after eating it.

Put it out on a stump and get some wildlife drunk. :db. I suspect a possum or raccoon would be likeliest to indulge. But I'd love to see a squirrel after eating it.

Part of me is horrified at this...

Another part thinks about the scientific implications of alcohol and animals.

And the last part (by far the larger) finds the whole idea wanting to make sure you film it when you do

I can't imagine there would be much left, either. But I have to know - why the fear of something exploding?

Part of me is horrified at this...

And the last part (by far the larger) finds the whole idea wanting to make sure you film it when you do

Given that such castoff stuff normally sits untouched for at least a day, I have my doubts that any significant alcohol is left.

On the otherhand, should I ever spot any intoxicated raccoons or squirrels I will take the opportunity to also force feed them some lead as they along,with the deer have done significant damage to
our garden, our blueberries, apple trees, and grape Vines.

Given that such castoff stuff normally sits untouched for at least a day, I have my doubts that any significant alcohol is left.

On the otherhand, should I ever spot any intoxicated raccoons or squirrels I will take the opportunity to also force feed them some lead as they along,with the deer have done significant damage to
our garden, our blueberries, apple trees, and grape Vines.

I live in a large urban area in the Netherlands...

The worst we get is the occasional hedgehog, birds and slugs. Our opportunities for dealing out lead poisoning are limited but I catch the sentiment

* The anthropologists have already observed alcoholic behavior in wild monkey colonies. You will be late at publishing.
* The alcohol content/ moisture content of the press pulp is not significant, ie it will not explode.
* Factory generated pulp is generally composted since there is so much of it. Occasionally a company will find a hog farmer who is close enough that it is economic to truck it over, it does have nutritional value. Every year journal of food science has one or two articles about a novel fiber derived from press pulp.

Tried making "Crackers" from apple residue from my Omega juicer but the flavor was pretty weak. As for leftover (Post-Ferment) residue the alcohol level should initially be the same as the wine. There is also the yeasty smell and flavor. Some types of fruit residue might be able to add a little flavor or color to milder flavored wines. We've used some peach wine residue (Post-Ferment) on vanilla ice cream and it was pretty good other than the yeasty taste. Guess it depends on your likes/dislikes and of course on the fruit.

i give it to my chickens, it plays heck with egg production, but it is so cool to see chickens hitting the roost pole, or bouncing off the fencing wire, and the next day they lay looking like they were dead, gosh i hope i never grow up
Dawg

Latest posts

Back