Using Brute as Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomK-B

Reaction score
I've only used the primary fermenter that I received in my initial start-up package - the typical 7.9 gallon white plastic model. I'm thinking of using one of the 10 gallon food grade Brute buckets to serve as primary for a Meglioli kit with that monster grape pack (plus I think I'll also throw in the raisins as well). Here's my question. Does the lid need to be air tight with an air-lock? If not, how long can I leave it in the primary before racking to secondary? I want to leave it on the grape skins and raisins as long as possible.

Tom, you do not need to have a tight lid and airlock in the early stages of primary fermentation. I would cover it loosely with whatever lid comes with the Brute, put both your grape skins and raisins in bags and squeeze them well a couple of times a day. This will help a lot with extraction of color and flavor. Make sure you sanitize your hands when you do so. You will need to go to secondary in a carboy with an airlock when the SG of the wine is below about 1.020. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back