Used wine barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
I found a guy selling 10 gallon Hungarian wine barrel for a good price. He said the barrels were emptied about 2 weeks ago. He said he hasn't added any type of sulfite solution to the barrels since emptying them. My question is will they still be good?

He emptied the barrel but did he clean it? You need to check it out and smell it to ensure there is no Brett in it. If your happy with it, I would sanitize it and use it. Can you use it on a white? The answer is yes, but you have to understand there is a good chance you'll end up with a tinted white wine. If that is an issue don't use it.

How old is this barrel and how many times has he used it? The barrel may be neutral by now and you'll need to add oak to it.

NJ, how much lower than a new barrel is this priced? I agree with Dan that it could be all right if you are getting complete and accurate information. If you are not, it could be a real disaster and you stand to lose a batch of wine. Personally, I would not buy a used barrel from anyone unless I knew the individual personally and knew how he cared for his equipment. It is an interesting exercise in risk vs. return. I wish you good luck.

My personal opinion, and that's all it is: a used barrel is a risk. If you know/are comfortable with the seller and how the barrel has been treated, you may be fine. But from what I've seen the price difference on used barrels isn't enough to justify the unknowns.

I'm not sure what the seller is asking, but a brand new, 23 liter Vadai can be had for under $200 delivered with a stand. 30 liters are only $20 or so more.

Just my opinion but I'd buy it and use it for barrel aging sour beers. Then I would buy a new one for wine. Again, just my opinion based on my setup and not knowing the price.

-Josh

I got the barrel for $40. I couldn't say no. What is the best way to sterilize it? A sulfite solution?

Steam cleaned followed by a sanitizing mixture of sulfite and citric acid.

I would recommend making all of your cleaning solutions with tartaric acid rather than citric. Tartaric costs a bit more, but citrate can more readily be a food source for microbes.

Cheers!

Back