Use of chemicals in homemade wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windy0062

Junior
Reaction score
This is a very controversial topic, but I stick by it 100%.

It used to be that wines, "grape" wines, had what were called "vintage" years, often every other year, usually in even-numbered years, because the weather was better. The wine tasted better from those years.

Wine connoiseurs looked forward to the "vintage" wines and paid a premium price for them. Soil played an important role in these wines but the most important role was the weather. But, over the years, beginning in the late 1960's and becoming a common practice by the 1970's worldwide, the use of chemicals to pH balance and taste adjust became wide spread and the wines, year after year, became "vintage" in taste and aroma.

Well, I "began" making wine in 1966 - a short-lived experiment as none of us had any idea about making wine. But later I got back into it.

In my family a lot of serious allergies exist. A couple of our family members cannot drink commercial wines becuase of the "stoppers" used in the wines to keep them from going bad. And I learned that, in general, wines with an above 14% alcohol level were generally self-preserving without any additives or preservatives. So when I began making wine I "shot for" a 15% alcohol content.

I quickly learned, with the blackberries, that 2 gallons of the 6-7% juice with 8 gallons of 16% sugar water equated to just under to just over the "magic" 14% alcohol level I needed. So I shoot for a beginning sugar level of about 17-18% in my blackberry wine and 16% in other fruit wines.

Because of this I use exclusively EC-1118 (the Champagne) yeast, which allows a higher yield (up to 18%) alcohol. But I have fermented the blackberry on its own "native" yeast with excellent results, even at the higher alcohol levels I strive for.

As an aside note here: For 2007 I will begin, blackberry only, using a very special new yeast called Artisan Extreme 20 Turbo Yeast, rated "up to" 20% alcohol in 18 days, but which provides actual yields of up to 25% alcohol. At that level we're in the brandy range. So on my own website (http://www.homemadefruitwines.com, not in service yet but soon) I'll keep this experiment posted as to results. This yeast, however, provides a cleaner alcohol and more flavorful fruit result, so I'm looking forward to next year's blackberry crop and resultant wine.

Thus, I use absolutely NO chemicals of any kind in my wines and winemaking, other than sanitation of utensils. The resultant flavor and aroma I get is strictly due to the combination of yeast, filtered water and that year's fruit used. Regardless of your allergies (except to alcohol, of course), you can drink my wine because there's nothing in them but fermented fruit juice and high alcohol as a preservative. Not even finings.

And I strongly urge others to adopt a "no chemicals" attitude and methodology in their own fruit winemaking efforts.

Windy Windblad, [email protected]

Edited by: windy0062

Welcome Windy,

While I think it is great you are making your fruit wines with a "no chemicals" attitude I would like to reiterate that all wine contains sulfite and this article explains it well;

It is impossible to make a sulfite-free wine, because wine yeast produce sulfur dioxide (SO2) during the fermentation process. Wines with no added sulfite contain from 6 to 40 ppm of sulfite, according to most experts.

Only a small percentage of the population (approximately 0.01%) is truly allergic to sulfites. These people lack the digestive enzyme sulfite oxidase and therefore can’t metabolize sulfites. This small percentage of the population is also asthmatic, so many doctors test their patients for sulfite allergies when a diagnosis of asthma is made. These individuals typically know they’re allergic from childhood and so know to avoid all foods and beverages that contain sulfites including, but not limited to, lunchmeats, processed salami, processed fruit juices, packaged seafood and dried fruits, as well as wine.

Sulfur dioxide gets a bad rap because of the government warning label plastered on wine bottles that is only targeted to this select group of consumers. Furthermore, many people blame sulfites for the group of symptoms commonly called the “wine headache.” These symptoms are often simply caused by the alcohol in the product. There has been some speculation in the medical community that histamines — a naturally occurring substance found in foods like canned tuna and wine — are a possible culprit of this “red wine malaise,” but there has been no conclusive evidence so far. Ironically, many consumers drink white wine, thinking red wines have more sulfites, when actually white wines typically do.

If you want to lessen the amount of sulfites you use in your wine, keep the following things in mind. Sulfur dioxide is used for two reasons: its anti-microbial ability and its antioxidant capacity. Therefore, if you want to use less of it, minimize the amount of microbes and oxygen that contact your wine in every stage of its life. Cleaning and sanitizing effectively is one of the easiest ways to knock down populations of spoilage bugs. Make sure your incoming fruit, juice or concentrate is clean and free of visible mold or bacterial colonies before inoculation. Use a strongly-fermenting commercial yeast for your primary fermentation in order to out-compete spoilage organisms in the first few weeks of a wine’s life. Make sure your wines are fermented to dryness so there is no residual sugar left as a carbon source for spoilage bacteria. Gas your empty containers with carbon dioxide during transfers and rackings so that there is minimal contact with oxygen.

Natural wine components that inhibit organisms are alcohol and acid. High pH (low acid) wines are more prone to microbial attack, so keeping the pH lower than 3.5 will help retard infection. The lower the pH, the more unhappy most sorts of spoilage bacteria will be. Similarly, the higher the alcohol, the more unhappy the organisms. Alcohol levels over 14% can help to keep bugs at bay.

At the end of the day, using sulfites in winemaking is usually not a health issue. Judicious of sulfite use can significantly increase the quality of your wine. International regulatory boards usually set legal levels at around 350 ppm total sulfur dioxide and most commercial wines are bottled with totals between 50-100 ppm. A little bit of SO2, used wisely, goes a long way and won’t hurt 9,999 out of 10,000 of us.

Windy: I have to chime in here.... I'm glad what you are doing is working for you, but most of us have not been making wine since the 60's, and I feel that offering this advice to a group of people who are rather new to wine making is not good advice. I will be honest with you, I would be scared not to add sulfites to my wine. Since you have a great deal of wine making experience, I hope to learn from you, but I'm sorry this advice I personally will not follow. jh

I taught this was the reason for hangovers:

<H1 =firsting>Phenols</H1>
<DIV id=Content>
<H3 id=siteSub>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</H3>
<DIV id=contentSub>
<DIV id=jump-to-nav>Jump to: navigation, search

In organic chemistry, phenols, sometimes called phenolics, are a class of chemical compounds consisting of a hydroxyl group (-OH) attached to an aromatic hydrocarbon group. The simplest of the class is phenol (C<SUB>6</SUB>H<SUB>5</SUB>OH).
<DIV ="thumb tright">
<DIV style="WIDTH: 182px">
<DIV =thumbcaption>
<DIV =magnify style=": right"> Phenol - the simplest of the phenols.

Although similar to alcohols, phenols have unique properties and are not classified as alcohols (since the hydroxyl group is not bonded to a saturated carbon atom). They have relatively higher acidities due to the aromatic ring tightly coupling with the oxygen and a relatively loose bond between the oxygen and hydrogen. The acidity of the hydroxyl group in phenols is commonly intermediate between that of aliphatic alcohols and carboxylic acids. Loss of a positive hydrogen ion (H+) from the hydroxyl group of a phenol forms a negative phenolate ion.

Some phenols are germicidal and are used in formulating disinfectants. Others possess estrogenic or endocrine disrupting activity

Well, you said it was going to be a controversial topic windy!
smiley17.gif

1966 huh? Ihave only the fraction of experience you haveand have only just extended beyond wine kits, but I certainly enjoyed your post and I'm glad you stepped in to "stir themust" so to speak.

Ithink there is an over-commercializationof wine making these days and in factI recently posted an excerpt from a Robert Parker article that addresses the issue. Although my wine making skills are fairly new, my wine enjoyment certainly is not and I've been fortunate over the years to taste quite a few vintages. (thanks be to clients and expense accounts!
smiley2.gif
)
Anyway... I use additives and will continue to do so until convinced otherwise,but I do like the idea ofkeeping additives to a minimum whenever possible. For instance, if I'm making a kit wine and it comes time to add the fining agents I don't just dump everything in because the instructions say to do so. I prefer to let the wine bulk-age longer and settle out as much as possible on its own and then I might add a fraction of the fining agents to achieve the same results using the test-add-test method.

When I started making wineI stuck to tried-and-true methods and as my knowledge and experience grows I willexperiment. I suggest the same for anyone who is new to wine making.

Thanks for sharingwindy and welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading more posts by you... especially if they prompt some good responses like I think this one did.

Edited by: sangwitch

windy, what are you referring to as "chemicals"? I got the idea from your post that you were against adding k-meta, but I see from your recipes on your website that they all call for some. ??

Many thanks for your very informative posting. All new information is greatly appreciated and may well prove helpful. And I am always willing to learn as much as I can about my wine-making hobby. I'm still a relative novice. And very useful information you have provided on the PH content of wines....something I really didn't know but its useful to know. However, while it will likely benefit many readers, I never make adjustments to pH, etc., because I won't be involved with anything remotely construed as "chemical tinkering" with my finished product.

What "naturally occurs" is one thing. That can normally be tolerated by just about anybody except the person allergic to the alcohol itselfr.

However, in our family we number two (2) "cilliacs", as well as one "cilliac" among our close friends. None of these can handle commercial sulfite levels at all, nor is there any "quick fix" for them. They can all drink my wine with no ill effects.

As we both point out, alcohol contents above 14% help to inhibit the browth of funky and/or nasty bacteria and to inhibit spoilage. Which is why I shoot for "above 14%" levels in my wines.

I do, however, take great pains to clean and sanitize and rinse all my equipment, constantly. I go thru several gallons of potassium metabisulfite weekly when I'm racking my wines. And while you are very correct in your final paragraph on sulfites and sulfite levels in commercial wines, and as naturally occuring things there likely are some sulfites in my wines, there will never be any "added" by me. Nor any other chemicals, to include something as innocuous as "finings". Thus, anyone can drink my wines with impunity, without regard to any existing medical conditions including allergties (except, of course, to the alcohol itself). Best always and many thanks, Windy

Hi, JH, I appreciate your post - and wish it had all been included within the "on site" posting.

Actually, I "helped make my first wine" in 1968, in the jungles of Vietnam. It was less than a roaring success. Other than that, I'm a relative novice and beginner as 2006 is only my 11th year of making wine.

I made my first wine, Cabernet Sauvignon, in February of 1996, in a 3-gallon ice cream pail, with a hole drilled in the lid for an air lock. The last bottle of that was drunk in 2002 at a backyard picnic and was pretty good!

Later on in 1996, in the summer, my wife and I picked blackberries for pies, jam and jelly, and to make some wine from "just to see what we would get"?

We have gone through 4 different recipes, finally settling on the recipe we are using now in 2003 (4 years). And it was not until about 1998 that I learned that 14% + alochol of itself inhibited nasty bug growth and thus spoilage. I got this from a winemaking professional as information he seldom passed out to most people but as I was making fruit wines he thought I might benefit from the information.

But, so that you will know, I am still learning, especially from these posts and responses, and am myself still relatively a "novice" at the "winemaking arts". Good luck and stick to your own decisions for your own reasons. And never forget you are never too old to learn. I'm 70 now and look forward to many more years of happy wine making and sharing with my friends. Backyard picnics are enhanced with a couple of bottles of homemade wine. WindyEdited by: windy0062

Wheeeeeeuuuw! "K-meta"? And I'm calling for "adding them" in my own recipes? But would you believe I donlt have a clue what you are talking about?

Shows just how much I don't know, doesn't it? Yeah, a lot!

I use Potassium Metabisulfite for sanitizing all my equipment prior to use (and in the case of the prime fermenter buckets I generally bleach them first), and after sanitizing I carefully rinse them - several times.

I don't put anything into my wine but: fruit, filtered water, EC-1118 yeast and yeast nutrient. I do not even use finings because, if it needs something like that, simple filtration through a medium filter should do the trick nicely.

So, just what is "k-meta"? And where do I recommend using it? Thanks, WindyEdited by: windy0062

A great topic to bring up, and I applaud it. Phenols apparently are where most of the deeper flavors are derived from in full-bodied wines, and limiting them will enhance the fruitiness but remove the deeper full-bodied nuances.

Not exactly 100% on the above. A better explanation of it can be found at htp://www.brewhaus.ca and search through all their appropriate topics. It could also be at https://secure.brewhaus.ca? Although that might just be the order page???

Meantime, they sell a product I just checked out and ordered - Artisan Extreme 20 Turbo Yeast - and decided to order and use next year in my blackberry wine. It is rated "up to 20% alcohol in 18 days," and we know that it will product alcohol contents up to 25%.

It is supposed to limit some of the bad things from the fermentation process and make a "cleaner finished product" - as well as works well on 20% and even higher alcohol yields.

I'll use it to make approximately a 16% alcohol blackberry wine, by the way.

I liked what I read there so much that I ordered 16 packets of the yeast for next year. It has already arrived (last Friday), so I'm ready.

Next year I expect that we will pick 84 gallons of blackberries for wine and get another 90 gallons of wine from it. It will be very interesting to see the difference that this yeast - quite expensive, by the way - makes in the finished blackberry wine compared to our previous years? I'll keep you posted by my own wine website - which will be up no later than early January. Its at http://www.homemadefruitwines.com - or will be? WindyEdited by: windy0062

You have some interesting points Windy. This will stir things up. It's kind of like the debates we used to have in college over organic vs chemical farming. Nowadays it seems to be a combination like I used to preach- use as little chemicals as necessary to make a useable product. If you can make it without adding anything that doesn't naturally occur so much the better for us all.

In case you really don't know what K-Meta is- it is shorthand for Potassium(K) "Meta"bisulfite. So you see if you call for Potassium Metabisulfite you really are adding K-Meta in the recipe.

sangwitch said:
windy, what are you referring to as "chemicals"? I got the idea from your post that you were against adding k-meta, but I see from your recipes on your website that they all call for some. ??

He uses the K-Meta for sanitation of the equipment onlyfrom what I could tell. All the recipes looked basically the same. Nice site although I had issues with the statements you can't buy fruit commercial producedfruit wines. I can go to the local grocery and buy fruit wines from at least a dozen wineries. Blueberry and Raspberry wines are very popular here.I might just try one of these recipes to see how it comes out.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Windy, I am very interested in what you have to say. I have many allergies as do many in my family and I would love to make wine without any unneccesary aditives if I can. Of course I have not even made my first batch yet so I am even newer than a newbie but I am learning so much here. I Know that many people would not make wine that way and I can understand that,in fact if it comes down to it I probably will not either. But I would be sad if I could not drink my own wine. Also I plan to make only one gallon batches so to lose a gallon is not nearly as scarey as losing 6 gallons. Well, I hope this made sense as I need coffee now. Just wanted to let you know that I am very intested in making wine your way. :)
Anne

smurfe said:
He uses the K-Meta for sanitation of the equipment onlyfrom what I could tell.

you are correct. I only read the ingredient list last night and not the instructions.

Ahah! Got it - k-meta = Potassium Metabisulfite. Thanks.

But....I do not "add it to" the wine in any way, shape or fashion. I use it exclusively for sanitizing my equipment prior to use, and after sanitization I thoroughly rinse the equipment. What few traces of "k-meta" might remain are negligible. Windy

Thanks for picking up on that....great catch. I just responded similarly to a different post here.

Meantime, re: "fruit wines" at the stores. Yes, you can go to the grocery store and purchase commercially produced fruit-flavored wines - strawberry hill was one of the first of them some 40 years ago?

However, to my knowlege, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, these are all "fruit flavored basic grape wines", none of them being 100% pure fruit wines at all.

I have even made a couple of them myself. I make a fine rhubarb wine with French Columbard base by boiling 5 lbs of rhubarb in 1/2 gallon of filtered water and using 2 litres of granulated sugar.

And a couple of years ago, when I made my first cultivated blackberry wine I also made a blackberry/Chablis wine. All three blackberries tasted like blackberry, yet all three were very different from one another - the cultivated, wild and Chablis versions.

However, until proven wrong my stated position is: 100% fruit wines are not practical for many reasons and so are not commercially produced. Windy

Hi, Anne, and many thanks for your post.

I appreciate your position, and hope you do find time and a way to make your small batches of wine.

If you email me directly at [email protected], subject: Wine, I'll email you a flyer I recently prepared on how to make small batches of fruit wines at home, cheaply and easily. Usually in 2 or 4 gallon increments. And not taking excessive space even in small apartments.

Windy

WhenI lived in CA there were plenty of wineries that made 100% fruit wines. They were mostly in 375 ml bottles. We tried many as dessert wines and such. You couldn't get em in storesall across the USbut there were lots to choose from locally. A quick web search of "100% fruit wines" will pull up several sites that sell them, I even saw a dandelion wine for sale on one site!

OK, my first "Google" search for "100% fruit wines" showed ZERO results. My next search for "100 percent fruit wines" turned up 3 results. And the major one, Tomasello of NJ, produces limited quantity, 5 varieties, the blueberry for export only under a re-labeling contract with Japan where, apparently, the blueberry is in great demand. It should be, it is a fine wine.

The other two are Key West, FL and Lingamore, Mount Airy, MD. These are the only three entries I found on 100 percent fruit wines, Googled. And I have never see any of them in any wine stores, nor advertised. A local winery buys up the commercially unsaleable cultivated blackberry crop (pennies on the dollar) for making a "blackberry flaovred" commercial wine.

So, apparently there are "100% fruit wines" comercially available out there. I'm corrected, and many thanks. But lets take a look at what cost? My "100% fruit varieties" include:
Blackberry
Cultivated Blackberry
Blueberry
Oregon Grape
Elderberry
Strawberry
Cherry (red, black and Byng)
Wild Rose Hip
Plum (Italian prune variety)
Pear (winter hard pear variety)
Grapefruit/Phillipine Mango
Raspberry
Raspberry/Blueberry blend (2r:1b)
Blackberry Port (dry) a blend of blackberry (60%), cherry (35%), oregon grape and raspberry (5% total the two).

This makes a pretty nice wine cellar and good variety. When I add the rhubarb, blackberry/Chablis, blackberry/Burgundy and Elderberry/Burgundy blends it becomes an unmatched wine cellar.

The nice thing about my wines is that the total, true cost per bottle is now about $0.60 a bottle, up from about $0.35 a bottle when I started making wine 10 years ago. And this includes a label (as good as any commercial label but personalized for us and the fruit), a cork and shrink cap.

My labels run about $0.05 each. My wine cellar variety has something for just about every palate. My price per bottle lets me have a lovely cellar - but the grape blends actually run about $3.00 a bottle - a little on the expensive side.Edited by: windy0062

Back