Other Urgent Help Required!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caper_26

Reaction score
Guys ! I have been making wine for over 10 years. I was doing a couple of wine kits the other night, and I just found a package of Chitosan.

The Grand Cru kit had the Chitosan labeled "D2" (which I found in the garbage), so I am pretty sure that this other one belongs to the Niagara Mist (Strawberry flavor).

Can I still add this package to the wine in the carboy even though it has been 5 days since I added the remaining chemicals? Usually, the Kieselsol goes in first anyway, so I am hoping I didn't mess this up as much as I could have.

Please help!

PS: Is there a way to check the code on the Chitosan to know for certain which kit it belongs to??

Can you purchase a new package within the next couple of days ?
The time line is not that critical - when you add the clarifier

I have the package ! Maybe I wasn't clear. Sorry.

I was doing the same stage to 2 different wine batches at the same time. This was 5 days ago. I thought I was finished everything for both batches (just had to wait until clear)... EXCEPT....Tonight I found a FULL package of Chitosan which was camouflaged by wrappers. But which kit did I forget to put it in? Putting on my Sherlock shoes, I went through the garbage and looked at what was in there, and compared it to the instructions of each kit.

The Grand Cru had instructions: Kieselsol (D1) and Chitosan (D2). These empty packages were both in the trash
The Niagara instructions just had Kieselsol and Chitosan and no other numbering for these packages.
There was a Kieselsol (no numbering) in the trash, but no other Chitosan empty package in the trash.

So it is probably safe to say it belongs to the Niagara batch.

but the question is: Is it too late , that is, will things get messy if I add it now? (5 days later)?

Last edited:
Thanks! I appreciate the quick responses! :gn

PS: I assume the chitosan helps remove particles because I racked the wine before I added it since the wine had been sitting for 5 days and I didn't want to stir up and sediment when I mixed the chitosan in. There was no sediment in there and there is always sediment!

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Wine cleared over-night ! Particles on the sides and bottom... *phew* Would have been the first time I messed one up. Got lucky!

Latest posts

Back