Untoasted oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canning wax, not much time to run errands during the week with work and baby. I'll give that whirl, thanks.

I rubbed wax along most of the bottom half of the barrel last night. Looking this morning there did not appear to be any leaking. Cautiously optimistic at this time...

The counter I have the barrel sitting on was bone dry when I got home so I'm gaining confidence. Found an extra stopper that fits and airlock. Now, before I throw some wine in there, do I need to order and burn a sulphur stick? Or is having the strong k-meta/water solution in there for the past 2 weeks sufficient?

I emptied out the water and k-meta solution from the barrel. Stunk like oak pretty good. I siphoned in my nero d'avola cabernet sauvignon. Will have to watch it and see. Barrel holds more than 5 gallons though. Have 3/4 of a gallon jug left (6 gallon kit). Will need to top off tomorrow.

Since this is an untoasted barrel are you going to add some toasted oak cubes to add some toasted oak flavor?

Took a taste test a couple nights ago, slight oak taste to it. Pleasant. Will be testing again in another week.

First batch was in the barrel for 3 weeks or so. Have my second batch in the barrel now, going on 5 weeks. Tasted some last night. It doesn't taste quite right. This is a kit wine so roughly 6 gallons to start. 5 in the barrel left a gallon or so outside that I have been using for topping off. I did a side by side comparison and the wine outside the barrel is much better. So I'm thinking this may be a lost cause for now. Maybe I can toast it at a later date.

Racked the sangiovese from the barrel and added some k-meta. I'm hoping time heals all wounds, this wine isn't very good right now. Filled with the barrel with a string k-meta/water solution. Next steps TBD...

Latest posts

Back