unsure of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck123

Junior
Reaction score
I followed a recipe for sake, It called for more sugar during secondary fermentation. It continued to bubble for a few days than quit. I checked the s.g. and it had went from 1.020 before adding the sugar to 1.030 after. It has not changed after a couple of days and seems to have stopped bubbling through the airlock. Is it done or has the fermentation stuck? any help would be appreciated.

What yeast do you use for this stuff? I have never made it so I have no idea with this stuff. Yiu may have pushed the yeast too much.

I had one stop for 2 weeks thought it was done then just went to going right back over night one night may just be taking a break (not a rice wine but a fruit wine)

What was your starting SG? You can try to warm it up and see if it starts going again.

Yep, like John said, try warming it up some, if it is cool. It needs to be about 75F.

Sometimes that added sugar can shock the yeast. Warmed up, if it doesn't start in a few days, you will need to add yeast again. Use the same kind of yeast or at least a high alcohol variety. You should prepare a yeast starter, don't just re-pitch the yeast, that will likely fail.

Slowly, over a period of 4 to 6 hours, add some of the sake to the starter, starting with only a tablespoon-full at a time, working up 1/4 cup at a time by the end. At the end if that time, if the starter is still bubbling away, making sure the starter temperature is within a couple degrees F. of the sake, stir it into the sake.

At 1.030, you still need some oxygen, so when you add the starter, don't be afraid of stirring in some air. Keep the temperature up.

Last edited:
I should add, it will only be done when it reaches the SG the instructions say is the ending SG. However, sometimes these things don't quite reach the specified ending SG, so don't get too nervous if it gets only within .005 or so.

Keep checking the SG. It is more important than bubbles in the air lock.

Latest posts

Back