Unknown Ailment on Niagara Grape

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 70 year-old Niagara grape vine that produces regularly and has been trouble free until this summer.
I live on the western slope of the Continental Divide in Colorado, in a small town named, Rifle, at about 6000 feet. It is semiarid in climate, but we had an unusually wet spring. The photo below shows a photo of the fruit. The problem seems to be more prevalent with the fruit that is one the west end of the vine receiving more intense afternoon sun. I have tended this vine and made wine from it for almost 13 years and have not seen this before. If someone would give me some direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Niagara%20Grape%20DSCN9774.jpg

If it is like a dry patch of skin, it is just sun damage. I theorize it is the fruit swelling due to moisture not hot sun and damage to the skin. Kinda a scar effect. I get that sometimes here in Washington. With cherries that causes splits and unfortunately unsellable cherries.

Taste one. Nothing weird, And if the vine looks good, I think you are ok. You could take one by one of the Palisade or Junction growers for their thoughts. I've found like most, they are good easy to talk to folks.

PS, my mom and brother live in junction and brother-in law grew up in Riflr Nice place to live.

Latest posts

Back