Unfinished fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stvr

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Steve and this is my first post to this forum, once removed fromLURK mode!

I have a half dozen 1 gallon projects on the go at this moment and all are going well except maybe one. That "one" is a Parsley Wine that has raised a question that hopefully someone may advise me on.

My primary5 day boil went well whereupon I transferred to a secondary glass for a 10 day boil of which also went well. When I racked for the nextlonger 30 period I neglected to cheese-cloth screen the residual parsley tailings at transfer. Impetus person that I am, my concern was that these parsley parts may rot or impart bitter flavors into the product so I racked AGAIN at a 10 day mark. This extra rackaction immediately stopped my fermentation. I put a "heating cable" around the bottle(s) for 4-5 days which caused some minor re-fermentation to start but stopped as soon as I removed the heat.

The current S.G. : 1.010

The product is clearing well and calender wise has still has another 6 weeks to sit before bottling. I will check the S.G. before corking.

My question is this: Is theS.G.:1.010 unwise to bottle at? All is O'k, as it will continue to ferment or should it be stabilized to prevent bottle fermentation? ........ or just relax?

What do you folks think?

Thanx.........Stv

Welcome Stvr....sorry I can't help you with Parsley Wine, Martina.... aka ...MedPretzel has made wine with evrything..maybe she will read this post and give her opinion.....
You can see some of her recipes for Sage Wine, Rosemary Wine, Basil Wine, etc at ......mywinerecipes.com
They say that good things take time....so maybe relax and have a glass of something that is ready...

What was your starting SG and what is the max TA that you can get out
of the Yeast you used. Ypu might have exceeded the yeasts capabilities
and if so your good to stabilize at the high SG.

Northern Winos said:
Welcome Stvr....sorry I can't help you with Parsley Wine, Martina.... aka ...MedPretzel has made wine with evrything..maybe she will read this post and give her opinion.....
You can see some of her recipes for Sage Wine, Rosemary Wine, Basil Wine, etc at ......mywinerecipes.com
They say that good things take time....so maybe relax and have a glass of something that is ready...

Yes, thank you.

Phuny you should mention Martina but it was her recipe that I borrowed and used as a guideline fromher internet site. (I added a dash of Vermouth, a Cinnamon stick and 500 ml. of white grape concentrate and Demarara sugar) When it started to smell like my fresh cut lawn I e-mailed herquestioning the validity of actually making a wine from PARSLEY. She "said" it was O'k to continue and encouraged me to join this site.

Onyoursecond point I amsampling a taste of my Northern Ontario WILD BlueberryWine I made 5 gallons of, now get this, backin 1998! I just got around to bottling itearlier this year. BTW.............. it's just awesome!!!!Edited by: Stvr

wadewade said:
What was your starting SG and what is the max TA that you can get out of the Yeast you used. Ypu might have exceeded the yeasts capabilities and if so your good to stabilize at the high SG.

I've gotten very lazy and I'm out of the habit of measuring the SG on 1 gallon batches, but I wouldguesstimate it was around plus1.095 by the amount of sugar and grp./cnt. I used (DEMERARA sugar@3lb. & wht. grp. cnt. 500 ml.)

The TA values are unknown to me. The yeast was Lavalin EC-1118 for whites (champagne?)

I definitely stopped the fermentation short. I've never had exploding corks and I don't wanna start now!

Thank you................StvEdited by: Stvr

Well that yeast is good for Alc. up to 18% so you definetly did not
exceed your yeast. Maybe try putting a little more nutrient in it or
just check the SG and check it again in 3 days and then try more
nutrient. If that dont work you might try to do a small yeast starter
and slowly introduce your wine into it and then add it back into your
batch(probably stuck at that point). Good luck, Wade

wadewade said:
Well that yeast is good for Alc. up to 18% so you definetly did not exceed your yeast. Maybe try putting a little more nutrient in it or just check the SG and check it again in 3 days and then try more nutrient. If that dont work you might try to do a small yeast starter and slowly introduce your wine into it and then add it back into your batch(probably stuck at that point). Good luck, Wade

Doh!

Now, why couldn't I think of that? As you suggest, I placed a few light pinches of nutrient into the carboy necks and quickly got a mild spurt of fermentation activity. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Looks like that did the trick. Thank you Wade. You have earned your daily stipend of grog! Thank you.

Stv

Excellent ! Glad I could be of help. Keep us posted on results.

Stv, did it bubble up immediately after you added the nutrient? If so
it probably wasnt fermentation but gas bubbles being liberated by the
nutrient particles. How on Earth did you leave a carboy full of
blueberries for so many years alone? My wife would have ferreted that
one out long before it got to age that long and made me bottle it up :)

Crackedcork

I probably would have put it on my lap with a crazy straw and made a night of it!
smiley36.gif

Edited by: wadewade

Cracked Cork said:
Stv, did it bubble up immediately after you added the nutrient? If so it probably wasn't fermentation but gas bubbles being liberated by the nutrient particles. How on Earth did you leave a carboy full of blueberries for so many years alone? My wife would have ferreted that one out long before it got to age that long and made me bottle it up :)

Crackedcork

Yes it did bubble but it did not foam over the top though. Interesting residue I have not seen before and that is fluffy clumpsor fuzzy balls on the bottom and floaters. I'll rack it soon.

Ah yes, the well agedBlueberries! Well all I can say is that itwas during the "dark" years........ I kept the locks topped with sulfite and the years justslid by...... what can I say?

BTW, to repeat, it is very good to say the least!

As a matter of fact, I just started another 5 gal. batch today. Ipitched the yeast this early A.M. and all is well. I found the 15lbs. of frozen wildpickedblueberries from Nova Scotia that I just couldn't pass-up.

I figure if I'm gonna be 10 years to bottling.............I'd better get started today!!!!

Just kidding... ;>)

http://stv.smugmug.com

Edited by: Stvr

wadewade said:
I probably would have put it on my lap with a crazy straw and made a night of it!
smiley36.gif

Chuckle!

(that's how the dark years gotstarted!)Edited by: Stvr

Latest posts

Back