Other undrinkable wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I started making wine in 2009 and the second kit I made was a Chardonnay, it was undrinkable but I knew a wine cellar was in my future and thought why not keep it around for looks. Well yesterday I tried it and wow it was wonderful, it had aged to perfection and taste great. before you give up on that undrinkable wine store it and forget it for a few years.

p.s. my problem now is there is only 29......ahhhhh 28 left

Good for you, Rob. One word of caution. White wines do not age well for extended times, so if it is two years old now, I would try to drink it this year. It is a tough job, but someone has to do it! :)

Rob, I had the same experience with an Elderberry wine I made from dried elderberries. Un drinkable at 8 mo. so I put it away. "Found it" recently, at 2 yrs. old & WOW! It's very good. So far the only wine I have ever dumped was an 18 mo. old Watermelon Wine. It seemed to be getting worse as it aged. Roy

Good for you, Rob. One word of caution. White wines do not age well for extended times, so if it is two years old now, I would try to drink it this year. It is a tough job, but someone has to do it! :)

As if he needed an excuse to drink it quickly!!! :dg
I wonder how many new home wine makers have tasted their wine right after fermentation and have thrown out the wine because it was tart and untasty?

I agree with Rocky; it has likely peaked by now, so it could very easily not be as good in another year. Enjoy it! This is why we encourage patients. Even an inexpensive kit can come around nicely, if given the time.

Latest posts

Back