uncertain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Junior
Reaction score
ok this is all new to me, so is the key warm and dark or light and warm, I live in michigan and its just starting to get around 40 and I have to do my wineing in the pole barn I built a box with a lid and insulated it the easiest way to heat it is with light bulbs inside the box I plan on putting a thermostat inside to control the heat, but is the light from the bulbs going to hurt, also can I do it in the fridge sorry for the lack of terms but I dont know I havent bottled yet

Steve B are you thinking of fermentation or storing your bottled wine????

Welcome Steve B.

There is some good information under the Wine Cellar Forum on making/storing wine conditions.

Many of us are new and facing decisions on how to become wine making addicts while stuck with Mother Earth Environments.

There is some darn good help from people with lots of experience on here.

Based on what I have learned, light from UV such as the sun or flourescent lights is bad for storing/aging wine. Incandescents is not that bad for short periods. Heat is primarily needed during Primary fermenation to keep temps around 70-75. There a is also a heater band mentioned in several threads that would work even better.
Using a refrigerator for Wine Making only, has advantages/disadvantages but a better choice than having wine sitting around at 80F+ during the summer.

Light bulb in the box will work. light isnt always the greatest thing for wine but if used just for fermentation then it will be just fine and this method is used by many. If by fridge you mean closed and shut off then that will work too as long as both of these methods can create an environment that will bring the temps into the 68-75 degree range for fermentation.

all this info its hard to find brain cells that havent been killed yet to retain all this info. there was a heater band mentioned is there more info ( what and where ) on this I think a heater wolud be more consistant than lihgt bulbs and yes I am only approaching the primary fermentation stage. thanks for all the help its nice to know there are so many people out there so willing to help me kill more brain cells

They are called brew belts and they work good to raise the temp about 10 degrees without much energy consumption.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5008

5008_lg.jpg

Just so you know as if you get 1 you will be asking, Lots of people use these brewing belts on glass with no problems what so ever including me. I have been using both of mine on glass all winter long for 4 years now, just dont put 1 on a carboy that is say 45 degrees as it will most likely crack from the temp change and probably why they say not to use 1 on glass. This cracking will most likely happen the same if you were to add hot water to a carboy at that temp. The brew belt will work in areas where your basement temps are in upper 50's minimum, after that the brew belt just wont warm up enough for the job.

brew belt that kinda narrows it down to something that I can look for the wine is more for the mrs. I am more of a beer drinker but as I get more interested in wine and I do enjoy a Good glass of wine, she has told me that I can do what I need to do in the house/laundry room which makes it a little easier and warmer now that I built the box in the barn, but still 68 to 75 degrees is it that cruical I have read that the warmeer the faster it goes is this not good. I have yet to start my first batch and I have already got permission to do it in the house where it iswarmer and more controlled thanks you guy"s are a world of help

the brew belt can be used with a common light dimmer switch and a reciptcal and plug to adjust/very the must temp. easier than sliding the belt up and down. brew belt is a 40 watt resistance device just lile a light bulb with out the light.
JC

Those temps are best for wine kits but Ive done it a lot warmer then that in the summer but when it gets into the 90's it would be a good idea to chill her down a little, any cooler then that you risk a stuck fermentation though I ferment my white wines and fruit wines(everything but red wine) at around low 60's and some times even high 50's but also watch it carefully. These same principles work with beer to, you would not get a good lager while fermenting at 75 degrees.

smiley5.gif
ok wow its been a while I had a major oops water flooded the basement had to pull the electric meter, pump out the water and now im back, I did a recipe from this site 6 lbs grapes in the panty hose added the stuff next day added the yeast 5 days now s.g. is 1.020 tastes kinda chapagne also lighter red than i thought but am i on the right trak, doesent really matter what it looks like, taste is more important

Latest posts

Back