Uhhhh... I don't like this trend!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score

Old Guinness, right, 12 ounces. New Guinness, left, 11.2 ounces. Price: The same! Sneaky. It also tasted like they cut back a bit on the smoked barley in the new bottle vs. the old. :ft

330 mL is a standard European bottle size, and it translates to roughly 11.2 oz. Makes sense that they would eliminate the special packaging to save costs. Too bad those cost savings and the 6% missing volume aren't reflected in the price we pay.

I've noticed that on a lot of beers.

Heck, my '1LB' bag of coffee is now 12oz. No, prices aren't going up - you just get less for the same amount. :ft

I've noticed the raw ingredients to make that yummy ambrosia, elixir of the soul, took a spike this fall also. Used to order 55 lb sacks of grain, but I haven't been making as much lately and don't want it to sit and go slack on me. Buying in smaller quantities costs quite a bit more per batch (like 40 - 50%).

You'd think shipping costs would have gone down with favorable retail fuel prices.

Old Guinness, right, 12 ounces. New Guinness, left, 11.2 ounces. Price: The same! Sneaky. It also tasted like they cut back a bit on the smoked barley in the new bottle vs. the old. :ft
Looks like the "stout" has gone on a crash diet... Now that's phat.. or something..

Yeah, but look how much taller. It won't be the same price for long.

Everyone knows taller costs more..

I've noticed the raw ingredients to make that yummy ambrosia, elixir of the soul, took a spike this fall also. Used to order 55 lb sacks of grain, but I haven't been making as much lately and don't want it to sit and go slack on me. Buying in smaller quantities costs quite a bit more per batch (like 40 - 50%).

You'd think shipping costs would have gone down with favorable retail fuel prices.

Unfurtionetly we don't get a break from the fuel prices but you can bet if their cost go back up we'l be paying more!

Sucks but it is the way of the world. If you go to a bar and notice the glasses are nice and heavy feeling. It is because it is a 14oz glass with more glass on the bottom so the glass is still the same size just more glass instead of room for beer! Its great marketing really. Less beer served. Most won't notice and the price doesn't have to go up with greater margins. Its easier and you will get less blow back to give less than raise prices.

330 mL is a standard European bottle size, and it translates to roughly 11.2 oz. Makes sense that they would eliminate the special packaging to save costs. Too bad those cost savings and the 6% missing volume aren't reflected in the price we pay.

Yes, I realize that other brands have had smaller bottles. Funny, every time I watch a Netflix European series and they drink beer, they pull out these nice 16 ounce bottles or cans.

In some wine kits too

Has anyone else noticed that the Eclipse grapeskin packs used to be 6 pounds 8 ounces and are now 6 pounds 4 ounces?

Paying 1.59 for gas but prices never go down for food! They used the cost of fuel to raise food prices but now are raking in the profits and I agree when fuel goes back up they probably will raise the prices again.

Back