Uh oh!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpowell88

Reaction score
More problems... i think...

I had been using an "easy clean" no rinse as my sanitizer which today I realized it is not a sanitizer. Thats problem one. Should I add a camden tablet to sanitize and kill bacteria? One of the wines in the carboy is in the secondary stage and one is in the clearing stage.

Problem two, could be a bigger issue. :(

I read that potassium metabisulphite is a sanitizer so I mixed it into my gallon jug as the instructions read to sanitize and then I cleaned a carboy and racked wine out of a primary into the secondary. When I had sanitized the carboy I just (wrongfully) assumed that it as a no rinse. There wasnt any left standing in the carboy but there was indeed some left in the carboy just on the glass surface. What will happen now? Can I fix it? Is it even safe to drink eventually? YIKES!

Bpowell, your problem two is really no problem at all. There will be a trace amount of k-meta in the carboy that will not hurt anything.

As to the first problem, I am not famliar with "easy clean" but since you have your two wines in carboys (and surely under airlock) there should be no problem. You could add 1 campden tablet per gallon to the wine that is clearing but I would not add anything to the wine in secondary at this point.

Phew! The answer I was hoping for!

I'll leave the secondary alone then. And the wine which is clearing I should add 6 tablets? It's a 6 gallon Carboy. Thank you very much for calming my nerves! In future should I rinse the potassium meta?

I always use the powdered k-meta (1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons for stabilizing) and have never used the tablets. I believe the dosage is one tablet per gallon. You might want to see if anyone else chimes in here. Does it specify a dosage on the container?

For sanitizing, I mix 3 Tbsp of k-meta per gallon of water for a sanitizing solution. I have some in a gallon jug for big items (e.g. carboys, fermenters, etc.) and some in a spray bottle for smaller ones (e.g. stoppers, siphons, etc.).

Ok great I used 2 oz for a gallon as directed. :) thanks! I'll sleep easy

Latest posts

Back