Ugh, my first rotten egg.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
Started my 5th batch since starting wine making and now I have rotten egg. Started a Welch's white grape juice batch with concentrate and used Montrachet. Started at SG 1.090, two days in I am at 1.022 and I smell sulfur.

I splash racked tonight for about 5 minutes between 2 primaries. Hopefully it goes away.

Question. This is probably going to need racking into a carboy tomorrow, if the smell is still there do I get it into a carboy under airlock anyway.

Montrachet is known for throwing off sulfer smells. I used it in some apfelwein (apple) and it made the famous "rhino farts" smell. I did nothing to it and it went away on it own. The people on the beer forum that make this apfelwein swear its normal and it goes away. It did and tasted fine. I see a lot of people here using copper to rid the smell. I would use that as a last resort. I would age it a month or two first before doing anything. Yeast do strange thing some times but tend to clean up after themselves with a little time.

I have had this twice. I used a whisk very heavy and added a bit of nutrient and it was gone by the end of the day. I may be wrong, but I liken it to something that occurs when the yeasties get stressed out.

Smelled much better this morning. I am going to check the SG again tonight and will probably have to rack to carboy because the fermentation is going rather fast.

On my very first wine I ever made, 5g blackberry, I had that smell. Bought a 24 inch, small diameter piece of copper pipe at home depot for a few bucks and when I racked into the secondary I ran the wine through the pipe while splash racking into carboy. Not sure if it was the copper or not but the smell was gone in a few days. Good Luck.

The copper helps clean up the smell, yeast nutrient helps prevent it in the first place.

I put the recommended amount of yeast nutrient for this batch, should I put more? Can I do that now that the fermentation is almost over?

I would be cautious on adding a lot of yeast nutrient close to the end of your fermentation.

The yeast may not be able to use all of the extra nutrient before they start to expire and you essentially have nutrients left over for spoilage organisms to feast on.

Typically I divide my addition of nutrient by two. Half at the beginning of fermentation and the other half after the sg has dropped a third of the way to dry.

Some winemakers will split the nutrient dose even further and make additions daily or twice a day during a strong ferment.

Thanks, I don't think I will risk it this far into the fermentation. I believe the splash racking took care of the problem.

Thig I was pointing out that if you add enough nutrient then you are less likely to get the stinky wine. Like Tyrone said, a half and half works good. Just don't add a ton at the end and it should ferment clean, if not then you can use the copper if need be later.

Montrachet is known for throwing off sulfer smells. I used it in some apfelwein (apple) and it made the famous "rhino farts" smell. I did nothing to it and it went away on it own. The people on the beer forum that make this apfelwein swear its normal and it goes away. It did and tasted fine. I see a lot of people here using copper to rid the smell. I would use that as a last resort. I would age it a month or two first before doing anything. Yeast do strange thing some times but tend to clean up after themselves with a little time.

I also used Montrachet( first time ) to make this batch of apfelwein. I was going to rack it this morning and is has that smell you describe. This would be my 3rd racking. I did add 1/4 tsk K meta on last racking. I just wanted to get it off the fine lee. Should I just leave it to bulk age or should I :

I have had this twice. I used a whisk very heavy and added a bit of nutrient and it was gone by the end of the day. I may be wrong, but I liken it to something that occurs when the yeasties get stressed out.

Thanks in advance,

RR

If fermentation is finished do not add any yeast nutrient, splash rack a few times and you should be fine.

Yes. When I added nutrient, it was because I was in the very beginning stages of fermentation and was trying to get my used a little more active. Honestly I think it was the wisking which added oxygen to the must that made the smell go away.

If fermentation is finished do not add any yeast nutrient, splash rack a few times and you should be fine.

Yes. When I added nutrient, it was because I was in the very beginning stages of fermentation and was trying to get my used a little more active. Honestly I think it was the wisking which added oxygen to the must that made the smell go away.

Thanks guys. I will do that this evening.

RT

I have had this happen twice and both times splash racking took care of it.

I have had this happen twice and both times splash racking took care of it.
Thanks, I wonder if it was the yeast I used. I have 20ish batches of country wines under my belt and this is a first.

RR

Last edited:
Add Dap at the first sign of the stinker and all will be well. Diammonium Phosphate stimulates yeast growth, and is a useful addition to yeast starters and wines lacking in natural nutrients, such as white wines and meads. Some winemakers add it to every fermentation. Use 1/2 to 3/4 gram per gallon.

i have had this happen twice to Skeeter Pee ferments......i airrated the must twice a day for 5 consecutive days with a mesh spoon (kinda like a deep fry spoon), as well as letting 2 large strands of copper wire in it to absorb the sulfur. On the 6th day I splash racked it and the smell went away entirely

Back