-48 ounces orange blossom honey
-16 ounces lactose
-71b yeast
-20 ounces coarse-grind, mild-roasted coffee
-1 vanilla bean
2 ounces cocoa nibs

METHOD:

-rehydrate yeast per instructions
-add honey and lactose to primary vessel and top to 1 gallon/ 1125 OG; pitch yeast
-feed nutrients per TOSNA protocol
-upon completion of fermentation, add coffee and nibs in nylon brew bag; remove after 24 hours
-rack mead
-add vanilla; rack again after 2 months
-rack as necessary until clarity achieved

Best if aged for 2 years to properly break down the fatty acids present in coffee and cocoa nibs

Last edited:

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Reaction score
This sounds really good. Does the lactose give it the taste or mouthfeel of milk?

Ty520

Reaction score
it gives it a silky creaminess, but also sweetness in that quantity. There's been lots at attempts and discussions at mimicking 'creaminess,' including attempts and using actual dairy in mead (using whey and such) but for me, lactose has been the only successful method of instilling anything resembling those qualities

Last edited:

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Reaction score
Does it remind you of the taste of milk or cream? I might have to try in one of my experiments.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
Is that 48 ounces weight of honey or liquid measurement (one quart and one pint)? My quarts weigh more than 32 ounces.

Ty520

Reaction score
It does impart the sensation of something that was made with cream or milk...but not explicitly "of" cream or milk, if that makes sense?

all measurements are by weight

If you look up old threads on lactose on various forums, you'll see lots of people dismissing its use, but you'll also find that almost all of them used such scant amounts that it was pointless. It takes an entire pound of lactose to impart just 20 points of gravity in just 1 gallon. some of these people were using a couple ounces and wondering why they couldn't detect any difference.

I only use it when i am trying to emulate something that typically has a creamy quality.

I will warn you that it is a pain to full incorporate (and probably won't completely incorporate - i had WAY more sediment than normal). this is why i prefer adding it up front in the first step - gives it maximal time to incorporate, with the added benefit of allowing you the vigorous daily stirrings during the first week of degassing/nutrient additions that you shouldn't do if you were to add it in secondary as a backsweetener.

Last edited:

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Reaction score
It does impart the sensation of something that was made with cream or milk...but not explicitly "of" cream or milk, if that makes sense?
That makes total sense. I'm going to add this to my list of things to try.

Ty520

Reaction score
That makes total sense. I'm going to add this to my list of things to try.
Also, fyi, I recently learned that some coffee farmers in Latin America sell coffee blossom honey, which I never knew existed,and hope to try on the next round.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
This sounds like a plan. I have a couple pounds of lactose taking up space in my beer/wine ingredient cabinet.