Cellar Craft Two Yeast Packets or One When Splitting Batch Into 2 Fermenters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSnob

Reaction score
On the advice of WTM guys/gals I am making the Cellar Craft Showcase Red Mountain Cab. It calls for an 8 gal fermenter because of the addition of both water and the skins. Since I don't have an 8 gal (and I don't think my LHBS even sells one) I am splitting it into two 6 gal primary fermentation buckets. They are sanitized & I'm ready to go except for one question.

Am I correct that when you split a batch into two like this that you can divide all the ingredients/additives into half for each of the two EXCEPT for the yeast? (I seem to recall that advice here by Tom some time ago when I made a blackberry country wine.) This kit comes with only one packet of Lalvin EC 1118. Should I place one packet in EACH fermenter?

Thanks

NS

NS, I would divide the yeast packet between the two buckets. If you read on the packet, most say 'for up to 6 gallons of wine' or words to that effect. I would be concerned about too much of a yeast odor or taste, but that is just me. I am sure others will offer their views.

Thanks Rocky. I did just that. I figured that if it was a little slow I could always add a bit more but I don't think that will be necessary.
NS

Latest posts

Back