two carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadenra

Junior
Reaction score
I make beer as well as wine. I have been using only 1 carboy for beer, the other for wine.

Rather than rack back into my primary, clean out the carboy, and rack back into it, could I use the carbory I use for making beer if I clean it and sanitze it very carefully? Or do I need to buy another carboy?

2nd question:

The last batch of wine I made failed misearably and I'm not sure why. When I racked from the primary into the carboy, I almost zero sediment. When I stirred in the chemicals a few days later, there was no sediment at all in the bottom of the carboy -- which there usually is at this point.

Any idea what I did wrong??? Should I have taken some of the sediment from the primary??

Thanks for any help you can offer -- I'm making a merlot next, and don't want to screw this one up!

Susan

Welcome sandenra,

I also make both and there is no problem at all using glass carboys for both beer and wine. Clean and sanitize like you normally would and you will be fine.

In order to help please provide more info on what type (fresh juice, concentrate, kit) of wine you made that had the sediment issue.

When you say it failed what happened and why was it a failure?

Glad to have you aboard Sadenra.

If you made a white kit or even whole grape white and used Cotes des blanc yeast, you might not get hardly any sediment. I did 5 white batches of grapes this fall and used that yeast. There was less than 1/4" of sediment at any time-primary or secondary and they have completely cleared. So there might not be any problem. Like Masta requested give us a little more information please.

Welcome to the forum Sadenra, hard to tell what happened without knowing more, buta couple of things;Usually you do rack all the sediment from primary to secondary, and degassing before clearing is very important,both of these points canprevent the wine from clearing well.

IF you screw up remember its only juice what ever type it may be,don't worry be happy in the wine fields, we all have good batches,and what the h--l batchs so jump right in and turn water into wine {sort to speak}
smiley36.gif
//jp

Sandera, it depends a lot on the clarifying agent you used. Some clarifiers require solids to work well. That being said, we could use some more information. Was this a kit? If so, which one? Is the wine cloudy?

Fill us in on the details. Remember, the goal is to make wine, not sediment.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back