Two 5 gallon kits in 10 gallon tub ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtcosmic

Junior
Reaction score
Hey, Im new to wine making :), Im just wondering if anyone could help me out? if i was to buy two 5 gallon kits ( 60 bottles) could i put them together in a 10 gallon tub and just brew as normal or would i need more sugar? more yeast ? more water ?. The wine making kit is linked below, looking forward to your replys :)

http://www.wilko.com/wine-homebrew-kits/wilko-shiraz-blush-30-bottle-kit/invt/0318390 x2

Curt.

10 gallons won't make 60 bottles.

It will if you live in the UK, as someone looking at Wilco kits probably does.

To answer your question, you won't need to add anything extra for a double kit. In fact, your two kits will each come, I believe, with a yeast packet; you could probably get away with only adding one. (If it were mine, I would probably add both, though, to ensure that your fermentation gets off to a good start.)

You should use a larger vessel than 10 gallons, however, to allow room for foam, etc.

Just be sure the tub is a good bit over 10 gallons because the ferment will expand a good bit in foam and stuff.

Just be sure the tub is a good bit over 10 gallons because the ferment will expand a good bit in foam and stuff.

It will if you live in the UK, as someone looking at Wilco kits probably does.

To answer your question, you won't need to add anything extra for a double kit. In fact, your two kits will each come, I believe, with a yeast packet; you could probably get away with only adding one. (If it were mine, I would probably add both, though, to ensure that your fermentation gets off to a good start.)

You should use a larger vessel than 10 gallons, however, to allow room for foam, etc.

Wow thanks for the fast feedback, Its worth a try then. How much head room would you recommend for 10 gallon?. Also would a 50w fish tank heater be good enough to keep the fermentation temperature consistent ?

I dunno, I'd say there should be at least 10-15 cm space above the liquid.

By the way, Wilco kits require that you add sugar, correct? I said you do not need to add "extra" sugar; however, you will need to add 2 times the amount of sugar that a single kit would require.

I dunno, I'd say there should be at least 10-15 cm space above the liquid.

By the way, Wilco kits require that you add sugar, correct? I said you do not need to add "extra" sugar; however, you will need to add 2 times the amount of sugar that a single kit would require.

So i would need twice as much sugar that each kit would normally require ?

Let me try to be clear. If you make one kit by itself, and it requires 1 kg of sugar, then if you make two kits together, you will need 2 kg sugar in total.

From what I understand most english brewers use the imperial gallon not the american gallon. 1 to 1.20 ratio if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back