Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe both calculations are correct, but your inputs are different. In @Khristyjeff's input you are starting with 6 gallons at 1.08, in yours you are starting with 4.739 gallons at 1.081. You are adding 1 gallon of water, AGAIN ROUGHLY, you will need 2 lbs of sugar to raise the sg of the gallon of water to 1.090 (2 X 0.045), the other 1.5 lbs will raise the original 4.739 gallons (a very precise volume) plus volume changes from additional sugar from the original 1.081 to 1.090.
My first post estimated 21 oz, ignored volume changes and is only an approximation. FermCalc a much more scientific approach and takes these changes into account. Personally I would use a hydrometer in any case.

I already made the Simple Syrup. So what I plan on doing as soon as my new kit comes in...
1. Take the SG with the Kit and water just under 5 Gal mark in the bucket.
2. Add 3 Cups of the Simply Syrup which was made using the 2 to 1 method.
3. Add the water to the 6 Gal Mark.
4. Cross my fingers and hope I am 1.09 - 1.095, if not...
3. Add additional small amounts of syrup or water as needed to adjust.

I will be back to let you know what happened. 🤞

I already made the Simple Syrup. So what I plan on doing as soon as my new kit comes in...
1. Take the SG with the Kit and water just under 5 Gal mark in the bucket.
2. Add 3 Cups of the Simply Syrup which was made using the 2 to 1 method.
3. Add the water to the 6 Gal Mark.
4. Cross my fingers and hope I am 1.09 - 1.095, if not...
3. Add additional small amounts of syrup or water as needed to adjust.

I will be back to let you know what happened. 🤞
Good plan. Note that if the volume is a bit high, it's not going to have a noticeable impact on the final wine.

Two suggestions -- first, add the 3 cups syrup when you put in the concentrate. Sugar doesn't dissolve easily, so the more stirring you give it, the better it will mix.

Second, fill the fermenter to 5-3/4 gallons, stirring as you fill, then check SG. If it's low (which is unlikely with 3 cups sugar syrup), you can add more syrup. If it's high? You're adding another quart of water, which will reduce it a bit. The amount of sugar you're adding should put you in an acceptable range.

I did a test a while back, preparing a must one day, checking the SG. In the morning, stir again and check the SG before inoculating.

Nine times out of ten, I got a different reading the following morning, sometimes high and other times low. Often times it was only a point or two, but on a few occasions it was nearer to 10. This was not only kits, it was also grape wines. This told me 2 things:

1. I don't always stir the must as well as I think I did.

2. No matter how much I stir, further melding is likely to occur. For concentrates, the mixture becomes more homogenous as bits and drabs of non-integrated concentrate dissolve. For grapes or any fruit? Sugar leaches from the fruit AND not all fruit in a batch has the same brix.

Checking SG again in the morning after a stir, before inoculating, gives you the most accurate reading.

@winemaker81 I did Mostly what you suggested because I didn't see your post until just now...

1. Dissolved the Bentonite in 8 Cups Hot water
2. Added the Fontana Merlot Concentrate (1.4 US Gal)
3. Added 3 Cups Simple Syrup (2-1 ratio recipe)
4. Filled the bucket to the 6 Gal mark.
5. Stirred for 15 Mins (not lying)
6. Used .176 oz of EC-1118 yeast instead of the E491 it came with.

This makes my 5th Fontana kit and they all start around 1.08 and finish around .991 or .992 With the addition of the 3 Cups of Simple Syrup it reads 1.088. So if it finishes around the same .992, I'll be happy with that.

I may try 4 Cups next time to see if I can get it to 1.09 I was after.

Thanks for everybody's help, it is greatly appreciated.

@Swedeman - Nope, not a typo. More like a "Noob-O" I assumed that's what it meant on the ingredients, but I see there is a "," after yeast and it says "emulsifier (E491)".

So I guess there are no unique identifiers for this yeast, so I have no clue what it is. But thank you for pointing this out.
Yeast.jpg

This makes my 5th Fontana kit and they all start around 1.08 and finish around .991 or .992 With the addition of the 3 Cups of Simple Syrup it reads 1.088. So if it finishes around the same .992, I'll be happy with that.
A lot of folks (including me) start their reds closer to 1.100, so adding another cup of sugar should be fine. As I mentioned previously, you can also stir in another half or full cup of sugar is the SG is below what you want.

Note: the FG depends on a lot of factors, including the ABV and other solids in the wine. Fermentation is typically considered complete when the SG <= 0.998 and stable for 3 days. I've had a lot of reds finish above 0.995, and a few finish above 1.000, for which I have no explanation other than we are not in charge. Mother Nature and Dionysus are in charge, and neither cares a bit about what you or I want. ;)

So I guess there are no unique identifiers for this yeast, so I have no clue what it is. But thank you for pointing this out.
Most vendors use EC-1118, as it's as close to foolproof as a yeast can get.

Something to consider for your next kit is to try a different yeast -- put the included packet in the fridge, it may be good for years. EC-1118 is beloved because it's a workhorse that will ferment a rock if given half a chance. However, it just eats sugar, and doesn't add anything extra.

Other strains will flavor the wine, so folks choose them for their properties. Search for yeast charts and read the descriptions.

Keep in mind there are no wrong choices in wine yeast -- every wine yeast will work out fine. The difference is certain strains produce more pleasing results in specific varietals and fruits.

@winemaker81 Thanks so much for all of this, I am learning a lot. This forum and it's members are Great!
I do have another question, but I will search to see what I can find and if not, start a new thread rather than hijacking this one. Thanks again.

Blueberry heaven

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2304.jpeg
    IMG_2304.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2305.jpeg
    IMG_2305.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2327.jpeg
    IMG_2327.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
@winemaker81 Thanks so much for all of this, I am learning a lot. This forum and it's members are Great!
I do have another question, but I will search to see what I can find and if not, start a new thread rather than hijacking this one. Thanks again.
Go through this thread you’ll see pictorials of how to make and use .

Another way to handle these cheaper kits as well as expensive ones , is learning how to adjust the volume of water added to the primary fermentation..
Adding simple syrup is at the top end , reducing the volume of water addition is another way .
The hundreds of cheaper kits I’ve made bring them to 5.5 gallons is were to start your ABV. Quest
Simple syrup isn’t always the answer.

Got a couple (6) of old 2020 Winexpert Pecerino Pinot Grigio 6 gallon kits today on clearance, for an obscene price of $27.00. Been a long time follower of Joeswine for years so I thought what the heck. Ive been making cheap kits for many many years and due to his influence most have turned out pretty well way better than the they should have To be fair the ones that weren't right were pure experimental runs. Mostly over fruited or under oaked reds. Joe has shown me that less is more in all cases, he is after all the master.

Since these kits are "old" I did the right thing and ignored the date, tasted the juice and found it was still pretty good. I Figured that the yeast was dead so I went with red star Premier couvee as a yeast verses the Lalvin 71B in the kit. I also went under the suggested fill which was 6.0 gal I chose 5.5 gal. Not a lot I admit as the initial gravity was 1.102. So I felt I could return a fairly good ABV of 13.1 for this Pinot.

I figured that since the juice was a bit old that it may need help . So according to Joe's suggestion to add a 1/2 a grapefruit in zest for a pinot I thought that sounded great. However since this was an Italian Pinot it should have a flavor profile fitting an italian wine which should be more toward a lemon or lime zest side. So I used two medium lemons with a gentle zesting with no pith, as this first batch need all the help it can get.

It entered the primary today. So campers we shall see how it goes. Wish me luck.

Lemons are and can be tart.
Limes , not recommended not a wine background enhancement.
The grapefruit doesn’t add taste it add an acidity ( clean bit ) to the back end.
Also I’ve have this wine and it’s spot on , thanks for following 🍷

simple syrup is easy and a great tool in our winemaking toolbox.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 5 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
Lemons are and can be tart.
Limes , not recommended not a wine background enhancement.
The grapefruit doesn’t add taste it add an acidity ( clean bit ) to the back end.
Also I’ve have this wine and it’s spot on , thanks for following 🍷
Joe...

Do you recommend grapefruit zest during fermentation or bulk aging?

Cheers!

Joe...

Do you recommend grapefruit zest during fermentation or bulk aging?

Cheers!
In the primary that’s were zests extraction is at its best.
You can and I have used it in the secondary , it works but not as well.
Always remember less is more .

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back