Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can some body tell me why i have adds on the side of the screen and botom as well as the middle

who knows why they showed up for you, but they are easy to remove. Click on your username at the top right. then when that page comes up click on the Preferences on the left. Here are what my preferences look like and I see no ads or nothing.

View attachment 95792
Thanks @cmason1957 I had the same problem and fixed it with your tip!

Question for all you tweekers. On a dessert(port) kit, has anyone bypassed the chaptalization packet and chose to go with fortifying the wine to reach the target ABV?
I have an Apres kit I'm going to start shortly and what I'm thinking is that I'd like to get it fermented dry. My last one using the chaptalization pack, while it got to 18%abv, it didn't ferment dry. It turned out sweeter than I'd like so my plan is to ferment dry, fortify with a brandy or maybe everclear to get it to my target ABV, and then add the F-Pack. I think that will keep the sweetness down more to what I would like.

Question for all you tweekers. On a dessert(port) kit, has anyone bypassed the chaptalization packet and chose to go with fortifying the wine to reach the target ABV?
Your question illustrates a problem with most backsweetened kits -- the backsweetening level is based upon the vendor's design, and doesn't offer variation for the make's tastes.

I recently bottled an Apres kit, which fermented dry at 0.998. I chose a different path, inoculating with Avante as I had purchased a brick of it. When the SG dropped to 1.018, I created an overnight starter with EC-1118 and added the chaptalization pack, which bumped the SG up to 1.030. I'm reasonably certain that inoculating with a strong colony of EC-1118 helped ensure the ferment completed. My final ABV was just short of 18%.

While you can skip the chaptalization pack, I suggest a different strategy -- divide the packet into 4 portions. Ferment down to ~1.005, and add 1 portion. Each time the SG drops to ~1.005, add another portion. If the ferment sticks, make an overnight starter with EC-1118 to revitalize the ferment.

Your question illustrates a problem with most backsweetened kits -- the backsweetening level is based upon the vendor's design, and doesn't offer variation for the make's tastes.

I recently bottled an Apres kit, which fermented dry at 0.998. I chose a different path, inoculating with Avante as I had purchased a brick of it. When the SG dropped to 1.018, I created an overnight starter with EC-1118 and added the chaptalization pack, which bumped the SG up to 1.030. I'm reasonably certain that inoculating with a strong colony of EC-1118 helped ensure the ferment completed. My final ABV was just short of 18%.

While you can skip the chaptalization pack, I suggest a different strategy -- divide the packet into 4 portions. Ferment down to ~1.005, and add 1 portion. Each time the SG drops to ~1.005, add another portion. If the ferment sticks, make an overnight starter with EC-1118 to revitalize the ferment.
Thank you for the suggestion Bryan. Following that strategy, how dry were you able to ferment a dessert wine kit? And did you end up using the entire chaptalization pack?

Thank you for the suggestion Bryan. Following that strategy, how dry were you able to ferment a dessert wine kit? And did you end up using the entire chaptalization pack?
It was dry -- although 0.998 seems a bit high for a near 18% ABV wine, it was heavy even before the F-pack, so I attribute the FG to that. SG is commonly treated as all sugar, but the alcohol and non-water components of the must and later the wine all contribute to the SG. I used the entire F-pack -- a fruit and chocolate flavored port will be sweet. I bottle in splits, as it makes the batch go farther, and I rarely want that much in one sitting.

Since yours didn't ferment out dry, it makes sense that the final result was too sweet for your taste.

IMO, if a kit is properly created, the F-pack should balance with the acid level of the wine. The resulting wine may be perceived as more or less sweet, but it should balance.

I made FWK Frutta Blackberry and Strawberry, and each took 2 conditioner packs, a lot of sugar. The wines are acidic enough that they needed that much sugar to balance. Oddly enough, while both are certainly sweet wines, the perception is semi-sweet. I have a few bottles of a commercial Vignoles that is labeled sweet, but the perception is off-dry, as are a few premium Vouvray in the rack.

Fork who prefer a sweeter wine might add more sugar to the Frutta. I'm happy with them as-is, but folks can customize to their likes.

I've got a "Port" melding now. I took 6 bottles of last year's wine (barrel aged), fortified to 20% ABV, and added sugar. My son & I disagreed if the wine needed more sugar, so it's melding for a few weeks. We'll taste it again before Christmas.

You may find that commercial "Port" kits don't work for your taste. Do what I did -- take a year old wine (I blended 2), fortify (I used EverClear 151), and backsweeten to taste. If the wine tastes a bit flabby add a tiny bit of tartaric acid to perk it. If you want flavoring, you can purchase flavorings (LP sells them), and tweak it to your own desire.

Another thought, regarding the base wine -- ferment dry then split the batch. Fill a 3 gallon carboy with half (to be bottled as a table wine), and step feed the other half as far as you can. Once you get to ~15% ABV, make a overnight starter with EC-1118 and continue feeding. Once the wine is clear, top with a red and bulk age for a year.

...curious if anyone has used dried apricots during fermentation in any of their vinos? If so, which vino type(s)?

Cheers!

yes, I did it with a sauvignon Blanc, no different than a normal fpac Thell rehydrates in the fermentation process, give it a try these below are fresh fruit, dry just wash and dump right in you'll see them plump up and then they go to work for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20141023_155554622.jpg
    IMG_20141023_155554622.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 8 finished f pak - Copy.jpg
    8 finished f pak - Copy.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140828_155701685.jpg
    IMG_20140828_155701685.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
Phase #1 COFFEE PORT MY WAY,

Attachments

• 12or Port Racking (1).jpg
    12or Port Racking (1).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 11 pitch yeast.jpg
    11 pitch yeast.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 9 ph reading.jpg
    9 ph reading.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 8 sg reading.jpg
    8 sg reading.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 6 bentonite.jpg
    6 bentonite.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • 5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg
    5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 rinse bag and add to bucket - Copy - Copy.jpg
    4 rinse bag and add to bucket - Copy - Copy.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 open bag.jpg
    2 open bag.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7 add tannin.jpg
    7 add tannin.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
PHASE# COFFEE PORT MY WAY
BEST OF SHOW DESSERT WINES WINEMAKERS MAG,
the coffee will in time add a very rich chocolate background to the finish.
At least one year maturing,

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140920_110212516 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20140920_110212516 - Copy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
Today I reached my goal of making more than my legal 100 gallons of wine in a calendar year. Don't report me to the ATF; I live in a two-person household so I can legally make 200 gallons, which for me is really out of the question. But 100 gallons felt ambitious to me, and I'm pleased to have completed my list. I made 18 wine kits, of which five were "cheap" kits which I tweaked using suggestions from this excellent forum. Actually, to be strictly accurate, the last two kits, which I started today, are the same kit, and I made one per the instructions and tweaked the other, so I could compare the results, so I only actually tweaked four kits. But I'm very happy with the results I've gotten, and I am sure I will have more fpac adventures in my future.

Today I reached my goal of making more than my legal 100 gallons of wine in a calendar year. Don't report me to the ATF; I live in a two-person household so I can legally make 200 gallons, which for me is really out of the question. But 100 gallons felt ambitious to me, and I'm pleased to have completed my list. I made 18 wine kits, of which five were "cheap" kits which I tweaked using suggestions from this excellent forum. Actually, to be strictly accurate, the last two kits, which I started today, are the same kit, and I made one per the instructions and tweaked the other, so I could compare the results, so I only actually tweaked four kits. But I'm very happy with the results I've gotten, and I am sure I will have more fpac adventures in my future.
nothing like creating your own blend, is there?

so, for all my cellar dwellers, I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a healthy new year to all, Saluto,

Attachments

• Amarone by the glass.jpg
    Amarone by the glass.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
simple syrup the captain in my toolbox, control the abv, control the process.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5 - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 6 - Copy.jpg
    6 - Copy.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7 - Copy.jpg
    7 - Copy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
simple syrup the captain in my toolbox, control the abv, control the process.
My process is a bit different. I don‘t actually make simple syrup. I dissolve my sugar into the water I’m adding to my kit. Sugar and bentonite into about a gallon of water. Add the juice and increase the water until I get the desired S/G.

Latest posts

Back