Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which kit exactly did you order?
Wine Lovers, white pear Pinot Grigio. It's one of the 28 day kits. I read that I should cut it to a 5 gallon yield. What else can I do to give it a chance?

Last edited:
Pretty sure Joe will suggest hitting that with some grapefruit zest.

Ordered my first kit. Can anyone suggest additions? I've read the kits are lacking body. Please include info on how and when to add. Thanks for helping.

Go to page one and start reading! I suggest taking notes as you read ALL of this thread. This is like a graduate course in Tweaking. You will learn a tremendous amount.

Go to page one and start reading! I suggest taking notes as you read ALL of this thread. This is like a graduate course in Tweaking. You will learn a tremendous amount.
I did start reading it. The search engine was too much of a distraction though. Lol

Things are looking up ,did you people see the prices that HOME BREW has on RJ CRU kits at $49.95 to $51.95..think some one in the industry took notice of us????Take a look at the Home Brew website and see the great array of kits that you would love to TWEAK.:db really take a look!!!!

Joeswine do you have a link? Ive been busy over here lol have 15 kits and buckets in glass:HB

The only link I have is on this forum under joeswine,when good wine's gone bad and several others.

From back in Sept.....I have made mistakes, way overshot my SG on a Fontana Cab...it will not be Cab, but I'm trying to turn it into a decent sweet red wine...the flavor is there and it's got some punch to it! Have it soaking up some oak and may add more tannin powder to it...just gonna keep tweaking it. BTW...your picture shows two quart jars of simple syrup and that is too much...read dummy, don't just look at the pictures...my bad!

Did add the tannin, added oak twice, and just let it sit. Bottled it today. Finished at 15.5%...the tannin and oak have kinda masked the sweetness some, but it is "warming". Think I'm just gonna stash most of this batch away and check it in a year or so. I kinda screwed the pooch on this one when I WAY over shot my SG...not my first mistake in life! Still, it is not terrible and frankly it's a forty buck kit...at the very least, bet it makes good wine coolers some day!

Lesson learned....Use your hydrometer and don't look at the pretty pictures!

Has anyone experience adding dates to wine? ... I tried to fish for comments on another thread but figure this might be a good place to bring it up.

Dates like raisins,will add depth to the mix,not sure about the taste but the premise is the same.like figs I think they would make a good and different port or after dinner wine.Ju SD t my thoughts.

Has anyone made a 5 Gal. Batch from a WE Mezza Luna Red kit? If so, what did you think?

Has anyone made a 5 Gal. Batch from a WE Mezza Luna Red kit? If so, what did you think?

our favorite cheap kit...only kit I have made more than once. I use Joe's tweaks, five gallons, bump the ABV, and age it with cherry wood honeycomb sticks...slightly off dry and just very pleasant even young. We really like this one.

Good to hear from you BigSell ,,is this a 6 gallon kit? At what price range?
Mismost-sounds like your having fun.

1.jpg

our favorite cheap kit...only kit I have made more than once. I use Joe's tweaks, five gallons, bump the ABV, and age it with cherry wood honeycomb sticks...slightly off dry and just very pleasant even young. We really like this one.

Thanks, I have never gone the 5 Gal. Route, tried lots of other tweeks. I think I will try 5Gal. on this kit and see what happens. Do,you typically have to adjust the ph?

Good to hear from you BigSell ,,is this a 6 gallon kit? At what price range?
Mismost-sounds like your having fun.

Joe,
Yes it is a 6 gal WE kit. This kit runs about $75 give or take. Since I have not tried the 5 gal tweek before I thought I would give it a try with this one, along with my other tweeks (as schooled by you).

That Malbec kit is one of the cheapest and BEST wines I have done to date.....Joe's Tweaks, straight off this thread.

I just started with the bigger skin kits....but, I'm gonna do that Malbec again for sure!

Cheap kits

BigSell, on this one do you have any blackberries to add about 2 cups or 16 ozs. also good wood is a very nice addition if you keep it at the 6 gallon mark if you drop it to 5 keep a close eye on the tannins .Blueberries are also a good addition. Just finished bottling my friends KITO'S blueberry cabernet and it was just fine the same manufacture price range.:db have fun.

1.jpg

3.jpg

13a.jpg

19.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on page 9 of this thread, have a few questions before I forget as I keep reading........simple sugar....just regular brewing sugar? If not, can I use it? A quart per batch? I'm brewing a merlot which was put on two weeks ago, still bubbling a little, is it too late to add dried raisins to ad flavor? If so I'll wait till I put the next batch on. Are raisins even a good match for a merlot??? OK, off to keep reading this thread....more questions on the way I'm sure!!!!!

I'm on page 9 of this thread, have a few questions before I forget as I keep reading........simple sugar....just regular brewing sugar? If not, can I use it? A quart per batch? I'm brewing a merlot which was put on two weeks ago, still bubbling a little, is it too late to add dried raisins to ad flavor? If so I'll wait till I put the next batch on. Are raisins even a good match for a merlot??? OK, off to keep reading this thread....more questions on the way I'm sure!!!!!

I see you found it!! You can use regular old sugar added straight to your must, or make and use simple syrup, I don't know about brewing sugar. Use your hydrometer to track additions and how they change your SG. You can still add raisins, but they're more effective in primary and secondary AF. I wouldn't like raisins in my merlot, but you're playing with a cheap kit, experiment if you want.

Oh, I've been doing some reading, 56 pages worth to be exact...... As soon as I start my kit, I put the top on with the air lock, I've noticed people using towels for the first week of fermentation.....should I be doing that? My first costco wine was low in alcohol, so the next kit I start I'll add some berries, not sure what's best for a Merlot, any suggestions??? And I'll be adding a little sugar and tannins. The kits come with oak, so I'll use that as the wine kit store didn't have much there for oak. I'll be starting it in the next week or two....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back