Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe...I just got the Fontana Cabernet Sauvignon delivered...what tweaks do you recommend for it. I figure a couple a cups of medium oak and simple syrup for sure, volume to five gallons.

Pulled the cork on a bottle of Fontana Wildberry Shiraz last night....the very berry flavor is receding and it is a little smoother. Thin, I overshot my volume. Still, I think in 6 months it'll be a much nicer wine.

I just did what you and Joe are suggesting. After 4mos in carboy and 4 weeks in the barrel, this baby is HOT...like on fire hot with alcohol. I am guessing this will need at least a good year to settle down and taste even remotely like wine.

Cheap kits thruhike00

what was your starting sg? did you down size the volume? Maybe the barrel aging had something to do with the taste, sometimes acidity is related to taste not alcohol. What was your PH reading at the finish or so far?

what was your starting sg? did you down size the volume? Maybe the barrel aging had something to do with the taste, sometimes acidity is related to taste not alcohol. What was your PH reading at the finish or so far?

1.11 starting sg but I did add a mix of leftover skins from my amarone kit and it was a reduced batch to just over 5gal in the primary. I don't think the barrel aging is the issue as the merlot and chardonnay that have already been through it. Its just hot with alcohol. I have made two of these kits, one by the directions and one with tweaks and they both are hot early. Very alcohol forward taste. The first kit by the directions is slowly starting to lose the hotness. I think both will be good wines, just that they will need some aging of at least a year if not more to come around. Broke my ph meter testing the pool and haven't replaced so don't know ph.

Last edited:
Hi Joe, and everyone else here on the other kit thread. Been busy teaching my 70 year old Mother the joy of tweaking cheap wine kits and she is hooked!! I haven't read up on the thread but will do so today.

Joe, I have a question on my Shiraz. The instructions said rack it to a 6 gallon carboy after fermentation, which I did. PH is 3.3, FG is 0.996, and I degassed and stabilized and added the clarifier according to the directions. They say to also leave it there for 14 days. There is a large headspace below the neck, and I'm wondering if I should leave it clear, or rack it to a 5 gallon carboy to minimize the headspace.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKQbF_pOSSM[/ame]

Always better to rack down then finish the process, at least that's my way

OK, I'm going to rack it to the 5 gallon carboy. I think I'll have some leftover for topping up if I need to rack it again. Thanks Joe

That's the way a good wine Maker think's, and always think outside the box

@joeswine
Joe,
I ordered the Fontana Fruit Wine Green Apple Reisling. Would you cut this down to 5 gal. also or leave it at 6 gal.? Looking to make a light, sweet wine for my wife.

Don't know that much tweaking will be done other than adding some simple syrup to get ABV around 11% and may add some lime zest.

Cheap wine kits Wineforfun

Usually you'll find that the white kits should stay at the volume they are, yes raise the ABV. but not to high if this kit came with a fpac DON"T d much to it, if it didn't then I would go to OLIVE NATION and check out there apple extract excellent products to play with. JUst my thoughts....:h

1.jpg

@joeswine Ok, so basically make the kit as is, no tweaks, since it is a white, correct?

Especially if it comes with an F pack ? If it doesn't and that's another story

Well: if you'd rather not such a sweet wine but maintain the flavor: add half the F-Pack to primary and save the other half for the end.

I just finished a Peach Chardonnay for the missus that was half-sweet and she likes it but still on the sweet side. The next time I do it: I'll add 3/4 of the F-Pack to primary.

She traded one with a friend who had a Coconut wine, made by a local wine kit shop, and it was just WAY too sweet for both of us. I'm rather glad I didn't follow the full direction.s

Just started 20 more gallons of the Fontana Malbec Tweeked to 5 gallons, Chaptalized, Zante Currants divided into 4 batches as well as 1lb blackberries, 1lb blueberries and 2 plums sautéed and divided into 4, along with 1tsp tannin per batch as well as med oak and heavy oak. :HB

As soon as primary fermentation is over and these rack into carboys, I will be Tweeking 10 more gallons of Malbec, 5 gallons of Merlot, 5 of Pinot Noir (Fontana) and that's it.... no more....until next month. :: LOL.

Well: if you'd rather not such a sweet wine but maintain the flavor: add half the F-Pack to primary and save the other half for the end.

I just finished a Peach Chardonnay for the missus that was half-sweet and she likes it but still on the sweet side. The next time I do it: I'll add 3/4 of the F-Pack to primary.

She traded one with a friend who had a Coconut wine, made by a local wine kit shop, and it was just WAY too sweet for both of us. I'm rather glad I didn't follow the full direction.s

Nope, definitely want a sweet wine. Mama is a sweet wine drinker. All the reviews I read on it were that it was a light, sweet wine. That would be just fine for her.
Me on the other hand, it needs to be red and dry.

@joeswine
Ok, thanks Joe. I am assuming it comes with an fpac but will let you know if not. It should be here early next week.

Nope, definitely want a sweet wine. Mama is a sweet wine drinker. All the reviews I read on it were that it was a light, sweet wine. That would be just fine for her.
Me on the other hand, it needs to be red and dry.

I hear you. It took me many years to get the missus off the sweet wines to ones that we could share together.

Just started 20 more gallons of the Fontana Malbec Tweeked to 5 gallons, Chaptalized, Zante Currants divided into 4 batches as well as 1lb blackberries, 1lb blueberries and 2 plums sautéed and divided into 4, along with 1tsp tannin per batch as well as med oak and heavy oak. :HB

As soon as primary fermentation is over and these rack into carboys, I will be Tweeking 10 more gallons of Malbec, 5 gallons of Merlot, 5 of Pinot Noir (Fontana) and that's it.... no more....until next month. :: LOL.

Tnuscan....man, you runnin' with the big dogs now! You must really like that Malbec!:h

Latest posts

Back