Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second Merlot started.

On Lees of the Amarone (along with the currants from it), a cup of raisins (can't find currants) and set to 5gal. Bubbling well on day one.

I have a pair of 5 gal Fontanas happily in the second ferm stage (Cab & Malbec). I'm about to start a Fontana Chardonnay. This may be a stupid question, but do I follow the same procedure (Zantes, tannin, chaptelization & oak as I did with the reds ? Other than some mead I have never done a white.
Thanks, jim

First white, a Cellar Craft California Reserve Chardonnay. Came with heavy toast French Oak chips, and the usual EC1118.
My intentions are to make this kit with no additions except a change in yeast. I am considering two, D47 or QA23.
I ferment in temperature controlled stainless steel fermenters.
I'm looking for any comments on the kit and my yeast choices please. Thanks.

JDwebb

YES, keep the whites simple boost the abv, oak your chard in the primary, and if you lack a bite once your done the process, or in the secondary , add 1/2 of a grapefruit to pick up the acidity, it works.

7.jpg

6.jpg

1 Box.jpg

Thanks Joe, anything other than grapefruit, heart meds conflict with anything grapefruit.
How much simple syrup to boost ABV?

JDwebb

First see what your SG. is at the 6 gallon mark, if your at 12% ok unless you want more kick, GOT IT, if not then add 1 quart of simple syrup, that should do it.If citrus isn't good for you then by all means don't use it just leave it as is and process out. With the whites I like to keep it simple they are fragile to start with :dbon the other hand don't do a 6 gallon batch:HB cut it down to 5.5 gallons, what will happen your SG. will go up automatically and so will the base flavor. This is just another way to play with your wine. It works.:h:h:h:h:h:h:h

I don't want to boost the ABV too much, will watch the hydrometer and take it to 1.100 and start there. As far as the citrus goes, grapefruit is out, how about something else, lemon, lime?

Cellar Craft Sterling California Reserve Chardonnay
Water to 5.5 gallons
SG: 1.100
D47 Yeast pitched at 4pm this afternoon
added another 2oz of French Oak for a total of 14oz

chard1.jpg

chard2.jpg

I am reading a book called The Herbalist by Joseph E. Meyer (1918). There is a section in this book Called "Botanicals Used in Wines, Cordials, Whiskey, Bitters , Etc. I can not get my scanner
to cooperate so it will be typing practice.

"Lemon Grass : Used to give a delicate fragrance to cordials and white wine "
(good for JDWebb ?)

"Burnett herb: Gerard wrote 'This herb being put into wine yeeldeth a certain grace in the drinking' "

"Flaxseed : The mucilage of this seed is obtained by boiling, and is used for giving a body to wines."

And my personal favorite is......

"Sage: 'The leaves, flowers and seed, put into a vat with ale, while fermenting, greatly increase
inebriating quality'. -Universal Herbal 1820 "
(spousal approval recommended :)

OK Joe, we seem to be stalled at 1.030 for a couple days now.
It was fermenting at 68ºF, I boosted the temp to 71 to see if that might help. I also gave it a gentle stir to keep the yeast in suspension.

DETAILS:
Water to 5.5 gallons
D47 Yeast pitched at 4pm on 6-17

OK Joe, we seem to be stalled at 1.030 for a couple days now.
It was fermenting at 68ºF, I boosted the temp to 71 to see if that might help. I also gave it a gentle stir to keep the yeast in suspension.

DETAILS:
Water to 5.5 gallons
D47 Yeast pitched at 4pm on 6-17

Was the extra oak (2oz) added after yeast was pitched?

Did you add anything from the lemon or lime, zest, juice? If so when, how much and what kind?

No, extra 2oz oak went in at the same time with no other additions.

RU what is the SG?you should be higher, did you us ec1118? Just let it sit longer for now.

Joe, starting gravity was 1.100, and I used Lalvin D47 yeast, not the 1118. D47 is a moderate performer, 15% alcohol with low nutrient needs and low foaming. I will keep monitoring and check the gravity daily for the next few days for any sign of movement. At 1.030 on day 6, I think I'm way off the mark for this yeast. It should be around 1.020 to .010 by now.

Also, its fermenting in a temperature controlled stainless steel fermenter.

JDwebb

See what happens over the next few days the way I read it D47 = is good to 14% abv.,but that isn't to say your yeast has stopped working all together. Stay the course.:db.add warmth.

I raised the temp to 71º up from 68, will go another couple degrees and see if that helps. Thanks Joe.

@joeswine Got the Fontana Green Apple Reisling. Will get it going next week sometime. It did come with a fruit pac.
Thinking about getting the volume to 5.5gal......thoughts?
Other than that, push the SG to around 1.090-1.095 and then do it as is.

@jdwebb When using those tanks for primary do you open ferment with breathable cover, or lock the lid on? They look neat.

Back